manual help?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: manual help?

Postby workingonit » 12 Jan 2012, 16:35

I understand about the explosive part. I get the same problem. Doesn't matter what I eat either. I think that's what is keeping mine from healing all the way.
I was thinking about switching from metamucil to the new metamucil that is all inulin. I'm trying for Dr. Oz's suggestion, that it should be like toothpaste. My daughter loves this phrase and now tells me everytime she goes to the bathroom that is was like 'toothpaste'. She's 9 and gets anal fissures too lately. Her diet changed because of the twinblock retainers she has on her teeth now (no more popcorn, carrots or nuts). I guess fissures run in our family. -sigh-
Anyways, she is doing better with more fibre and water. Now it's just me who needs to heal... touch wood and whistle, as my aunt says.
If you don't like what your doc says, try to get a second opinion. I find though, that everytime I go to a doc expecting them to say one thing, they come out with something from left field. So I wouldn't anticipate too much from the appointment.
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 12 Jan 2012, 16:44

ITA, woi.
One crs recommended Fiber One cereal and nitro ointment - the other crs recommended Konsyl and hydrocortisone cream (which seems to burn). --- The Fiber One cereal really bulks my stool up, so I'm completely off it - but I am taking the Konsyl twice per day, and I'm carefully watching my diet.
I'm thinking of adding sitz baths to the program, too. I desperately want this to heal! I'm so, sooo, SOOO tired of this. Really, for the past 3 months, I've been a recluse at home, living in this fissure fog. I can't plan anything, I've had some depression - and just when I think I might be turning the corner, it starts to burn again.
How on earth can people get through this??? I just don't know. I'm having trouble, myself.
BTW, what did Dr. Oz suggest for AFs? Thanks.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby workingonit » 12 Jan 2012, 17:43

hey Sweet,
Here's Dr. Oz says;
"Anal fissures are caused by constipation as well as spasm of the anal sphincter, although large non-healing fissures can also be seen with Crohn's disease. Fissures are basically a tear in the lining of the anus. Signs and symptoms include blood in the stool or on the toilet paper, and pain both during and after the passage of stool. Fissures respond well to warm soaks (sitz baths), stool softeners and increasing the amount of fiber and water in the diet. I also recommend lubricating the toilet paper with petroleum jelly prior to wiping. Nitroglycerin ointment and calcium channel blockers help to relax the sphincter and for refractory fissures injection of botulinum toxin A into the anal sphincter can also help with healing."
Nothing really illuminating, I'm afraid.
as for the jelly on the t. paper. I use a strong t-paper and wet it with a peri bottle before wiping.
I understand about the recluse thing. I get out, but I am not doing the things I'd really like to be doing. It's like everything is on hold. But I am trying to break away from that trend in small increments.
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 12 Jan 2012, 18:15

Thanks for that quote, woi -
Gosh, I'm certainly doing all the right things, IMO -- but this buggar just doesn't want to heal!
I'll see one of my crs next week. Darn. I wanted this to go away . . .
I'm sure you feel the same way - so does everyone else here. I guess I'm a bit depressed today, because of this flare-up.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11