Day 2 at home, so tired..

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Day 2 at home, so tired..

Postby travis1994 » 12 Jan 2012, 18:17

Is this normal with every type of surgery? I was feeling good my first day home yesterday from my pilonidal cyst surgery. I have to be on antibiotics which is wreaking havoc on my system..gotta keep clean but it's hard when my poo is the consistency of apple sauce. I have no trouble going and it doesn't hurt..it's just so tiring, waking up..going to the bathroom, having my mom make me a bath that I have to sit in for 20 minutes..I've been trying to keep my food intake steady. Not too much, not too little..but I feel pretty weak. I'm so used to eating 2200 calories minimum a day, I'm just having a rough second day. The antibiotics causing the stomach ache is probably the worst part.
travis1994
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Re: Day 2 at home, so tired..

Postby KarenG » 12 Jan 2012, 19:21

Hi Travis
I think the tiredness is perfectly normal. Its probably more due to the general aneasthetic. My partner pretty much slept for the first 2 days after his op. Dont try to run before you can walk...just take it easy and you'll soon be back to full strength. I hope tomorrow is a better day for you x
KarenG
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby grannymaria » 12 Jan 2012, 20:01

Travis - like Karen said please take it easy son-- u need to eat something do the antibiotics won't hurt ur stomach sweetie. God heal u n heal us all soon
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby Sue1962 » 12 Jan 2012, 20:44

Hey Travis, I am on day 3 and I had a rough day today too!!! I know you didn't have LIS, but still surgery is surgery. I think b/c they starve you before surgery, plus the anesthesia and the anxiety involved, it all just takes it's toll on your body. I had a great day yesterday and today I am very tired, sore and tired of being in and out of the tub. I think I am going to turn into a mermaid...LOL I have increased my Miralax to 2 caps a day and I think it is time to back off a little. I know what you mean about applesauce...Just hang in ther kiddo, it will all get better in time. Just rest, and eat so those AB stop messing with your stomach..I am sure you have an xbox or PS3 being a teenager, just lay in bed and get lost in a good game....Take care and let us know how your doing... Image
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby Guest » 12 Jan 2012, 21:25

Hi Travis,
Some folks eat yogurt or take probiotics while on the antibiotics to restore the good bacteria that we need in the guts... It may help help with the runny stools :) You may want to google antibiotics / gut flora. It's pretty interesting. We need the good bacteria in our guts that antibiotics can take away/ kill.

Postby travis1994 » 12 Jan 2012, 23:15

I think I'm gonna have my parents get me some yogurt or something. I know I need to be taking it easy..it's just really hard laying on the couch all day. I do have Netflix though. I have a lot of post-op anxiety right now, I'm kind of a hypochondriac and I hate not being able to eat as much as I used to and hearing my stomach gurgle and make all these weird noises. I'm completely paranoid about my stitches coming undone but I guess that just means I'm being extra careful. I'm thinking about summer right now... riding my bike on the trail. Thanks guys for all the help. I'll keep posting.
travis1994
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Postby Deleted User 579 » 13 Jan 2012, 11:56

Hey Travis - I definitely know about the post-op anxiety and tiredness. That's pretty common, and not surprising considering what we've been through. Give your body some time to recover. You're right that very soon you will be riding your bike and being active again.
I've also had antibiotics make a mess of my digestive system. If the yorgurt doesn't quite work, you may want to look into a product called "Bio-K". My gastroenterologist recommended it when antibiotics messed me up. It's a probiotic and it'll be in the refrigerated areas of a grocery store or a drug store. I'm in Canada, so I don't know how easy it is to find in where you are. Here's a link to the product info, in case it comes in handy:
https://www.biokplus.com/en-ca/home
Hang in there! Soon all this will be a distant memory!
Deleted User 579

Postby KarenG » 13 Jan 2012, 12:30

What Hope describes sounds very much like 'Danone Bio Activia yoghurts'. You can get them in any big supermarket in the UK x
KarenG
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Sue1962 » 13 Jan 2012, 13:00

Hang in there Travis and keep thinking about riding your bike on the trails this summer. This will all be over and done with by then!! I know exactly how you feel about laying around and doing nothing, but do it now so you can heal correctly with no problems. You are not a hypochondiac!! I think we all have some post op anxiety and it is just normal.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36