AF post childbirth 4mths ago heading for LIS next week....

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

AF post childbirth 4mths ago heading for LIS next week....

Postby penelope8 » 14 Jan 2012, 04:43

Hi Everyone,
I've never posted before but I have been on this website very often in the last 4mths. I'm 26yrs old and had my first baby 4mths ago vaginally which resulted in an anal fissure. I have tried everything including GTN and changes in diet ect. The pain has been so bad that I ended up in the Emergency Department. I am now booked in for LIS next Wednesday after getting a second opinion. The first CRS i saw refused to do LIS on a woman of childbearing age (which worries me a bit) and my current surgeon says it's completely safe with incontinence being very unlikely (amazing how they differ so much in opinion!). I will though in the future have to undergo caesarean sections.
I'm really anxious about the surgery next week as I'm still currently breastfeeding and worried about how much pain I will be in ect. The pain after a BM has also been better this week which also worries me as I don't want to make things worse by having the surgery. My fissures though have seemed to get better to only be terrible again a week later.
I just really want to thankyou all so much for this support forum. I had no idea about AF's until I got one and I just can't believe how debilitating they are. This forum has kept me sane over the past 4mths and it continues to reassure me about having the LIS surgery. SO thankyou!.
Penny :D
penelope8
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: AF post childbirth 4mths ago heading for LIS next week....

Postby grannymaria » 14 Jan 2012, 05:50

Awww sweetie-God bless u n ur family. I'm also new with a fissure n had never heard of such :( painful thing existed. I'm glad ur having the surgery next week to help u hon - as u have read several posts the first weeks are the worst but it gets better! I'll keep u in my prayers Penny. Give ur baby a hug from this gramma. Keep us posted n please follow docs orders sweetie :) God bless u all
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby penelope8 » 16 Jan 2012, 16:31

Thanks Gramma, really appreciate ur support. Surgery is tomorrow and i'm feeling very nervous. Will post once it's done. Just hope i'm doing the right thing!. Thanks again
penelope8
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby Sue1962 » 16 Jan 2012, 21:36

Hey Penelope!!! Congrats on your upcoming surgery Image You will soon be on the other side and no longer in pain. I had surgery 1 week ago today. I am sooo glad I did. I am feeling great!! This past Saturday, I went to the grocery store and ran a couple of other errands and today I spent the day shopping at the mall, cooked dinner and did some laundry. I feel soo good. I am not overdoing it and rest in between. I know the anxiety it is normal. The surgery is a breeze, mine was only 9 minutes. I was in and out and on my way home all in less than 3 1/2 hours. The prep, the surgery, recovery and home. You will be fine. Looking forward to reading your post op posts Image
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 16 Jan 2012, 21:45

Good luck, Penelope!
Please let us know how you do.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby Englanddevon » 15 Feb 2013, 06:09

Hi Penelope - just wondering if you have been advised be crs to have a c section in future due to LIS? We had been hoping to start a family but this has been put on hold because of my fissure problems and it looks as though ill have LIS too and wondering how advisable a natural birth is after LIS?
Hope your surgery goes well x
Englanddevon
Salt Bather

Topics: 3