Med question

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Med question

Postby catniss » 15 Jan 2012, 22:06

Anybody have luck with Diltiazem? I'm supposed to use it for a month 2-3x a day then surgery if it doesn't heal...just wondering what my odds are. I don't want to jinx myself but I've been on it for a week and I actually had my first psi free day today- wondering if it's a fluke or maybe the med actually working.
catniss
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: Med question

Postby grannymaria » 16 Jan 2012, 07:09

I think it's same as the nitroglycerin compound my doc prescribed n it does help relax the muscle - but it does not heal the actual fissure - our eating habits need to change n drink plenty water plus softener help .
God bless u sweetie n continue reading posts here- they really help!
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby Sue1962 » 16 Jan 2012, 07:26

Hey Cat, Diltiazem has a lot of less side effects than the NTG, It works by relaxing the sphinter and allowing for increased blood flow to the area, so the fissure can heal. When you are in constant spasm the fissure stays open and cannot heal. If you are using it and it is helping, continue to use it everyday as prescribed. When I was using it my Dr told me to use it everyday for at least 8 weeks b/c that is how long it takes a fissure to heal, at least 6-8 weeks. Even if you are not feeling any pain in a couple of weeks don't be fooled, it is healing, but not fully healed.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby catniss » 16 Jan 2012, 09:06

Thanks so much!! It definitely is helping me because it's been 2 days now pain free, I'm still so nervous that I'll do something to make it come back. I'm going to start on today's date and go 8 weeks from now with my same routine just to be totally sure. Can I take miralax every day? The bottle says no more than 7 but it's the only thing that seems to work as well.
catniss
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby Sue1962 » 16 Jan 2012, 09:26

Yeah, they put that on the bottle, but my CRS told me I can take it for the rest of my life if needed. It is really gentle and not a stimulant laxitive. It is an osmotic, It works by drawing water in to the bowel. So make sure you drink your water. It is awesome stuff. The only thing that works for me too!! Glad you are feeling better. Maybe you will be able to heal this beast on your own!!!
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36