fissure from childbirth

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

fissure from childbirth

Postby penelope8 » 14 Jan 2012, 05:12

Hi everyone,
I have been checking out this forum for 4mths now. I developed an AF a week after giving birth vaginally to my first baby. I couldn't believe the pain the AF caused. I had never heard of an AF before and found it very difficult to get help. The first few months were so hard with a small baby and intense pain through the night and day. I ended up going to the emergency department but was not given much assistance there. I then saw a very well known CRS and he diagnosed me with a AF but said he would not recommend LIS surgery as I am a woman of childbearing age. He also told me not to take GTN as I am breastfeeding. I left his clinic crying and feel so despondent. My GP told me to take the GTN anyway and just express around the times I take it. So I did that but the GTN would only work for a few weeks and then I would re-tear again. I then got a second opinion from another surgeon who booked me in for LIS straight away. He said he had not had anyone experience incontinence from the surgery and that it was very safe in a women of my age. I would though in the future have to have Caesarean sections.
So, here I am waiting for my LIS surgery next Wednesday. I'm so nervous. Worried about the pain, the recovery, breastfeeding my baby whilst in pain and making things worse. My fissure has been annoyingly good the last week so I have been having second thoughts but I know (from past experience) that it's often good for a week or so and then terrible again.
I have been doing lots of reading of people's posts after LIS and they mostly sound positive so I'm feeling okay about it all. This forum is amazing and I wouldn't have been able to get through the past 4mths without it.
Thankyou :D :D
penelope8
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: fissure from childbirth

Postby grannymaria » 14 Jan 2012, 06:00

God bless u sweetie. I too have learned so much here! Our prayers with u.
I'm so thankful for this board - for all members here who are sharing their experiences that help us newbies in this painful journey . Follow advice here n u will soon be enjoying ur beautiful baby n enjoying life pain free. Hugs sweetie. God bless u n ur family.
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby Sue1962 » 14 Jan 2012, 07:22

Hi Penelope and welcome to the forum!!! sorry you have to be here though. This place is a god send!!! I learned so much more here than, the internet. Actually, talking to people and reading their experiences with diet, how to heal, and surgery helped me so much. Suffering with a fissure is the worst ever. Nobody knows the pain unless they have gone through it. I suffered on/ off for 3 years. The first time it healed itself and I thought I was out of the woods, it came back and healed a couple of times after that, but this past May came back and would not stop!!! The shards of glass and spasms were unbearable, but I continued my daily living in misery and noone even knew unless I told them. I had LIS this past Monday and have been posting my progress everyday in hopes it will help those who are ready or scheduled for surgery. AF's can be crippling not only physically, but mentally too. I hope you read my post op posts and they help you. Soon you will be on the other side of this and be able to enjoy your baby and your life again Image BTW, I was terrified of the surgery, but when it is all said and done, it was a breeze!!! Also, it is very important to get your stool soft and find a system that works for you before surgery!!! High fiber diet, water. I don't take fiber supplements as they tend to constipate me, but I get enough fiber in my diet. Alot of us on here take Miralax and it is a miracle!! My fissure was actually feeling alot better before my surgery, but I knew it would never heal and I just wanted my life back. Good luck with everything and read, read, read...you will get the answers you need.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby rasmith3530 » 14 Jan 2012, 09:07

I'm new here myself, and I know that helpless feeling you describe. I had never heard of an AF before the early part of last year, when I got my first. I was put on Nitroglycerin ointment and Lidocaine, and after a few weeks, it went away. Everything seemed fine until a few weeks ago. Thanks to this forum, I was much better informed this time around and could speak far more intelligently with my doctor about this. So far, I'm on medication, but we have not ruled out the possibility of surgery. I do have to say that the pain from this is like nothing I've experienced before in my life, but this site has been very supportive and informative. As Sue1962 said, read, read, read. There is so much info here. Good luck.
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Thankyou!

Postby penelope8 » 16 Jan 2012, 16:00

Thankyou all so much for your support. It is so reassuring hearing all of your stories and knowing that there are people out there that are going through a similar thing.
I have my LIS surgery tomorrow. I'm so nervous and have thought about backing out but I will just try not to think about it and go ahead with it. My fissure has annoyingly been better the last two weeks, so that's the reason for my hesitation. I know though that even if it heals it will most probably return.....
Anyway BIG thanks and I will keep you all posted with my post-recovery.
:)
penelope8
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby grannymaria » 16 Jan 2012, 16:31

God be with u sweetie. In our prayers . Pls take care n keep us posted. N do not overdo anything - it takes time for healing.
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby Savaici » 16 Jan 2012, 18:23

Very best wishes to you penelope8 with your LIS surgery tomorrow. You're very wise to go ahead as planned, as believe me, it does not get better with time for many. Will be watching out for your posts, and hope for a speedy recovery for you. Image
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222