Diet both during fissue and post fissure

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Diet both during fissue and post fissure

Postby Davo » 20 Jan 2012, 03:42

Hi,
Something Grateful Ed posted prompted me to start a thread about food and diet both during healing and post fissure.
Whilst I was having my CRS visit this week I brought up the “when will I be able to eat normally again?” question. He told me I can start introducing everyday foods from now providing I am careful and do this on a trial and error basis, i.e. see what does and what does not affect my fissure. My current healing stage is ‘Almost Healed’ (According to my CRS) so there is no chance in the world that I am going to risk anything quite yet.
Therefore I just wondered how rigid everybody is during their fissure healing stage – Is everybody rigidly sticking to a fruit, fibre and a vegetable only diet? Is anybody drinking alcohol at the moment?
For me I only tend to eat soup, baked beans, brown rice, wholemeal bread, wholemeal pasta, etc. I do have 1 or 2 glasses of red wine on a Saturday night too and this has never caused me any problems however I must stop at 2 glasses as anymore makes my BM’s drier.
Once healed (whether this is via GTN, Botox or LIS) what is everybody’s intentions? There is no way in the world I am sticking to this diet forever – my intention is to eat an increased amount of fibre for breakfast and lunch, keep up and increased water intake and maybe take a sachet of Movicol each day but I want my evening dinner to return to normal. I also want to be able to go for a drink again with friends without any worry or go on holiday and sample new foods without concern.
I do read about people thinking that they will be on a 100% fissure friendly diet for life – does anybody else think this?
To be honest my doctor and CRS have never advised me to eat as I do at the moment, the only advice they gave me is to consume plenty of water, increase my fibre intake and to try and keep BM’s as soft as I can with stool softener’s and movicol.
Are we being too strict with ourselves?
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Re: Diet both during fissue and post fissure

Postby Sue1962 » 20 Jan 2012, 06:30

To be honest Davo, I pretty much eat whatever I want. I do eat 20-25 grams of fiber a day and drink alot of water. I also drink coffee. I think as long as you are getting enough of the good stuff, a little of the bad is fine. Miralax, also helps greatly. Even when I was in full fissure pain, I ate whaterv. I did lose 25 lbs with it, but it was b/c I stopped drinking coke all day and started with water. Also all the junk, I was a junk food junky....So, now I am eating better, healthier, and still eating junk food when I want, just in moderation. Sometimes, I really wonder if food has anything to do with it. My fear was, I did't want to have huge BM's, so I ate like a bird. The thought of the pain the next day was always on my mind. So I tended to barely eat so I wouldn't have the severe pain. Now 11 days post op, I am eating whatever I want, in moderation.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby Davo » 20 Jan 2012, 06:38

Hi Sue,
What you're doing is what i was thinking - I am going without all the food I like when i probably dont need to (providing i keep taking the stool softeners and eating more healthily).
We love going out to dinner once a week but i put a stop to that too as i thought the food would be affecting things.
With regards to quantity i still get my fair share but i find the BM's are longer rather than larger (sorry for that info!)
Davo
Davo

Postby Sue1962 » 20 Jan 2012, 06:43

LOL...to funny. Mine did that too!! I still went out to dinner every Saturday night and got a steak 8oz can never eat the whole thing, leftovers for the dog!! but I also got a salad and baked sweet potato with it, also had some wine. So I just don't think it is what we eat. I mean the chips, and nuts and corn, yes b/c they are hard to digest and come out sharp and whole, but everything else seems fine. Fear of pooping really can make you think twice about everything!!
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Postby Davo » 20 Jan 2012, 06:52

Thats strange with the steak as most people have said its a no-no whilst you have a fissure therefore i have just avoided it altogether.
I totally agree with the nuts - i love dry roasted peanuts but they ruined things for me on one occasion.
Davo

Postby Sue1962 » 20 Jan 2012, 07:16

I know I read it. Many said no, but I tried and no problem for me and only once a week.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Postby workingonit » 20 Jan 2012, 11:46

I would never give up red meat for the fissure or I would get anemic again. Just don't eat a huge helping of it. I often eat it the way Sue eats it, without the wine though. When I am healed I plan to keep eating two servings of veg with each meal instead of the one serving I did before. i will drink Decaf coffee again and have the odd drink in the evening. But I won't go back to a couple glasses of wine/beer a night, or two or three cups of coffee. I don't think I'd be able to enjoy it anyways, as I would be too worried about a relapse.
so glad you are almost healed! That's great!
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby grannymaria » 20 Jan 2012, 12:44

Image most definite keeping the eating lifestyle to keep "soft" from now on! I'm so scared of the excruciating pain that made this granny cry :(
And I believe Sue or SweetBug said that once in a while we can eat something but just not overdo it..
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby Grateful Ed » 20 Jan 2012, 15:46

Hey all- yeah- I'm trying to vary my diet a bit but it's mostly potatoes, soup, kale, veggies, some eggs & some turkey or chicken. For a while I was really into beet/carrot/apple juice. I try to avoid anything too doughy or cheesy. :( I'm probably just paranoid about my BMs but I definitely avoid nuts (even peanut butter) as well as coffee, caffeine and alcohol. I was getting wicked hangovers when I drank. If I need to unwind I smoke a bit of pot. I've lost about 25 pounds over the past 18 months which is pretty scary because I'm skinny to start with. I'm willing to stick with this diet indefinitely if it'll keep the fissures away. Also I've gotten pretty obsessive about chewing everything really thoroughly. Lots of water, lots of prayer. Image
Grateful Ed
Salt Bather

Topics: 9