how to use gtn

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

how to use gtn

Postby electric jaws » 13 Feb 2012, 04:54

hi everyone,i just read a interesting article about gtn ointment and it says" do not use gtn ointment 30 mins before a bath(or i should imagine sitz bath) or 30 mins after a bath,as the warmth from the water already does to the muscles a similar thing as the gtn ointment therefore rendering the gtn ointment non efficient" so i thought i would post and let people know as my g.p who gave the ointment to me definatly didn't tell me that,i should think the same would apply maybe to the ano heal cream as it does same sort of job? ano heal cream
electric jaws
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Re: how to use gtn

Postby Davo » 13 Feb 2012, 16:09

Hi Electric jaws (great name by the way!)
I have always applied GTN about 10 minutes after a bath - i find the bath cleanses everything first and also relaxes the sphincter making it easier to apply the ointment.
The UK version of GTN works for 12 hours therefore applying straight after a bath should not make any difference. I did ask my CRS the question about when to apply the GTN and he told me to apply it twice a day and after my morning toilet visit. (I always follow a toilet visit with a bath where possible) I then get out of the bath, dry off, apply the GTN and relax for 20 minutes.
I guess if you can wait for 30 minutes after a bath it maybe more effective but for me to go to the toilet, have a bath, relax for 30 minutes, apply the GTN and relax for a further 30 minutes before work is nigh on impossible :-D
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42