LIS while your fissure is dormant

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS while your fissure is dormant

Postby FishBoi » 13 Feb 2012, 19:18

Any one had a dormant fissure the day of their LIS? My LIS surgery has been rescheduled for next week. Since my last appointment with my CRS, my fissure has been dormant. CRS said that mine is superficial but still chronic and has left a faint scar which is enough for him to perform LIS efficiently.
Anyone who underwent LIS in this situation, your input is greatly appreciated. I've read some members here who had to undergo a second LIS to get things right, as the first cut was too conservative. I'm just afraid my dormant fissure will mislead my CRS to a "conservative" cut.
FishBoi
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Re: LIS while your fissure is dormant

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 14 Feb 2012, 00:13

Hi, FishBoi -
I had an LIS and fissurectomy two weeks ago today.
My AF was very small - 1 mm, according to one crs (who didn't seem to think I should do anything about it) . . . but I asked a different crs if my AF would heal on its own, and he said "no" and that I could either live with it or get it fixed. Once an AF becomes chronic, it's difficult (if not impossible) to heal on its own -- and an AF can re-tear, get bigger, etc.
I thought (four years ago) that my AF had healed, only to have it come back this past October - with a vengeance! Most people who are tired of dealing with it opt for surgery - but we do have a few here who've had successful AD (anal dilation).
As to the cut, I didn't even ask my crs (the one who said my AF wouldn't heal, and thus did my surgery) about the cut. For me, it was just information that would worry me -- and I felt that since my crs has been doing this for 26 years, he probably knows where/how much to cut. Talk with your crs about it, if it will make you feel better -- I had a whole list of ?'s for my crs, pre-op - and he answered every one of them. So, if you want to know about the cut, ask your doc. It is your body, after all . . . but in my case, I chose not to ask that particular question.
Good luck, and hang in there. Let us know how you're doing. :)
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11