Very Worried

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Very Worried

Postby bobbles » 19 Feb 2012, 14:11

Hello, Im new here, been reading the forum for a while. Im due to have botox in just over a weeks time, and quite frankly, Im terrified. Everyone seems to have a bad experience with it. Are there any positives or good stories??
bobbles
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Very Worried

Postby workingonit » 19 Feb 2012, 14:35

I've read lots of accounts that were positive. The problem is that when it wears off, people often have a setback.
And so it's not uncommon to have it done twice.
You also have to keep in mind that people who aren't having difficulties are less likely to be posting here. They just get on with their lives. So the information here seems kinda skewed that way.
I may end up doing botox, but it doesn't scare me too much. Actually I think I might prefer it to the nifedipine!
Please write your experience with it, even if it's a good one! :D
There are some meditation audio CDs out there that are geared towards fear of surgery etc. Perhaps you could look into getting one of those?
I've listened to martin rossman and like his work, I don't know if his CD is good or not, but it's worth looking into.
http://www.iamplify.com/beliefnet/product_details/Sounds-True/Preparing-for-Surgery---Martin-L-Rossman-MD/product_id/3510
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby bobbles » 19 Feb 2012, 15:03

Thank you so much for your reply. I did think about the fact that most people only come on the internet to complain or look for help and rarely post anything if things are going well.
Ive had this thing for over 20 years, but its only really been bad in the last 2. Tried all the usual stuff. Have just started my 4th tube of Rectalgesic. It cant be good using it for so long. Or the movicol or senna or pain killers, so Im desperate!!
I will post back what happens, hopefully it will be a success story.
bobbles
Fibre Addict

Postby workingonit » 19 Feb 2012, 18:33

Hey Bobby,
Just as a thought, you might ask your CRS when you see him/her, about what to put on the fissure after the botox to promote healing.
A lot of people have found they heal better (including myself) if they put some kind of soothing barrier on the fissure. I use lanolin, and others here have had luck with coconut oil. Then there's the honey products...
Anyways, curious that they would say.
so sorry you have suffered for so long!
My nine year old has been getting fissures this year and I have totally cracked down on her eating habits. i don't want it to become a life long problem. So I am sharing all the wisdom I have found on this site with her. Lot of fiber, lots of water, lean forward on the toilet etc.
She hasn't had a problem for over a month now (touch wood and whistle).
Wish my mom had known more of this to share with me when I was younger. But she didn't learn it til later in life too.
best of luck!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Davo » 20 Feb 2012, 07:01

I agree with WOI that the majority of people who post on here are the ones who have not had success. With regards to the Botox i think it does tend to work in the main however the chances of re-tears sometime in the future are unfortunately high.
As for the procedure itself I believe it literally takes a minute or two and you will be in and out in no time. Are you also having sigmoidoscopy as i believe this is normal procedure before Botox in the UK?
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby bobbles » 20 Feb 2012, 12:45

Hi guys, I will ask when I go next week what to expect and how to treat it after the injections.
As for the sigmoidoscopy, Ive already had a colonoscopy and they found nothing further up. I will be having a general when I have the botox, the surgeon says its better, because they can have "a good look around" better when asleep!!
bobbles
Fibre Addict

Postby Davo » 20 Feb 2012, 13:26

Hi Bobbles, I am also in the UK (London) and are due to visit my CRS tomorrow evening, i imagine i will also be going for Botox within the next few weeks so it would be good to compare experiences. (Workingonit could also be having Botox soon!)
My CRS said he gives a General Anaesthetic as it allows him to have a good look around to make sure nothing else is going on (I presumed he meant sigmoidoscopy)
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby bobbles » 20 Feb 2012, 13:33

Hi Davo, it could be a sigmoid. My CRS only does botox, he wont do an LIS. I did tell him I was very worried about botox, but he assured me it has a high success rate!! My appointment was original for 22 March, but got a call on Friday to say the surgeon could no longer make that day, but they had a cancellation for 27th, next Monday. Got my pre op assessment tomorrow. I work in a school and have spent the day trying not to get sneezed on by the kids, dont want the appointment cancelled!!

I will be posting back my experience. I assume I will do that in the other section. It will be good to compare notes!
bobbles
Fibre Addict