What laxative to take with Rectogesic?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: What laxative to take with Rectogesic?

Postby rangertom » 26 Feb 2012, 11:11

Hi Davo and Sue,
Firstly Davo the tip about Lidocaine pre BM worked a treat and I have now started using Movicol which has also worked very well. I know it's all trial and error to see what works for everyone and I found the first day with one Movicol split in 2 wasn't quite enough, so i used 2 yesterday and this mornings BM was painless and only afterwards I realised I had forgotten the Lidocaine. I have also added Mango to my list of fruits.
Sue when I came home after my op and didn't go for 2 days, I phoned the hospital asking if I should be taking anything. They said I should be using the laxatives I was given on discharge, what laxatives??? Told to go get Lactulose straight away and within 24 hours I had a BM (won't go into how much pain that caused). So it does work, as do Dulcoease, very quickly. At the moment though whilst using Rectogesic (after 8 days the headaches have almost vanished), I am trying to make the BM as soft as possible to avoid any new tears of the fissure and hopefully it will go (for now). I have just done a search for more Movicol online and found a Dulcoease stool softener capsule. I don't know if this a new product or not but might be something I try in the future as it will be more convenient than the powder sachets and almost a third of the price.
Once again thanks to both of you for your advice.
Tom
rangertom
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Sue27uk » 26 Feb 2012, 11:25

I have never used sachets of anything. That is what I meant, the dulcoease stool softener capsules - 100mg. It works for me! I don't take much lactulose either :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby rangertom » 26 Feb 2012, 12:49

When the box of Movicol is done, I shall give Dulcoease stool softeners a go then.
:D
rangertom
Fibre Addict

Postby Davo » 27 Feb 2012, 06:02

Hi Rangertom,
I have now reduced my dosage to one dulcoease at lunchtime, a magnesium tablet with dinner and one sachet of Movicol before bed as my stomach wasn't happy with all that previouly.
Glad that Lidocaine and Movicol is working for you
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby rangertom » 27 Feb 2012, 12:12

Thanks Davo
rangertom
Fibre Addict