STOOL CONSISTENCY?

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

STOOL CONSISTENCY?

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 03 Mar 2012, 14:08

PLEASE HELP!
I was recently diagnosed with a fissure and prescribed Ditilazem, along with the regular course of treatment: hot baths, fiber supplements, etc. My question is this: I am very confused about what the ideal consistency of my stool should be to help the fissure heal? Soft, but larger and well-formed (which is what my CRS recommended, to keep the area as clean as possible)? Or, the consistency of soft-serve ice cream or pudding (to reduce the strain and stress on the fissure)?
Also, any thoughts on BENEFIBER vs METAMUCIL? And should I also be taking some MIRALAX at the same time as the fiber supplements? Stool softeners never seem to work for me, but MIRALAX does.
Thanks for any help!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Re: STOOL CONSISTENCY?

Postby workingonit » 03 Mar 2012, 14:18

Hi,
I like metamucil, but have never tried benefiber.
Perhaps your CRS just doesn't want your BMs to be so soft that they come out the width of a pencil.
You definitely should not be straining or pushing at all! It should just be your automatic muscles down there doing all the work.
I wouldn't take the miralax unless you are having trouble keeping a good consistency to your BMs. IMO.
It's very much a personal thing, finding the right balance to achieve the right consistency to achieve healing. We are all so different.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Baba » 03 Mar 2012, 21:17

I know most doctors recommend metamucil but it just doesn't work for me while I'm healing. I did try it again this time around but it makes the BM so wide it keeps opening up the fissure and prevents it from healing and the pain is increased. I get the best results with just plain magnesium as a stool softener, and grease the "chute" before a bowel movement, or it feels too hard, I will use water to soften things up as well.
Once healing is well underway, it's probably good to use some metamucil to relax the spincter and keep it from getting lazy and narrow.
Baba
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby rasmith3530 » 04 Mar 2012, 14:27

I too have never tried Benefiber, but I do take one tblsp of Metamucil daily, plus one cap full of MiraLAX, also daily. So far that has provided me with what others have described as a near perfect stool for AF sufferers. I have continued to do this even after having my LIS procedure this past Monday.
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 04 Mar 2012, 16:05

What is a "near perfect stool for AF sufferers?" I'm just not sure what consistency my stool should be.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Baba » 04 Mar 2012, 17:33

Think toothpaste that comes out smoothly, or soft ice cream :D Sorry if that spoils everyones appetite for ice cream :oops:
Baba
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby rasmith3530 » 04 Mar 2012, 20:56

I say creamy peanut butter, but soft serve ice cream may be a more apt description.
As a side note, when I was going to a military school as a kid, we used to try and gross each other out, so comparisons like this don't bother me. Just be wary of that one piece of rice that just moved on your plate the next time you're at a restaurant! :-)
Rob
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby pat123 » 07 Mar 2012, 15:14

toothpaste, soft serve, peanut butter... the search for the perfect BM goes on.
pat123
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby rasmith3530 » 08 Mar 2012, 21:01

It's out there, you'll find it!
Rob
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist