Get passed a bulky BM to heal? Remedies stop working?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Get passed a bulky BM to heal? Remedies stop working?

Postby notmuchfunanymore » 08 Mar 2012, 18:16

So, I keep going through this cycle of healing, no pain no blood for about a week followed by one or two BM's that are bulky at the start and re-open all the work I put into healing... and I go through everything all over again. I have not changed my diet!
My prune juice remedy seems to have not been effective lately, making it very difficult to try to heal again.
My diet and water intake are fine.... what else can I do to reduce the bulkiness at the beginning of the BM? What else can I do to get to make it to full healing?
I say a Hail Mary when I poo.
notmuchfunanymore
Salt Bather

Topics: 17

Re: Get passed a bulky BM to heal? Remedies stop working?

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 08 Mar 2012, 19:45

MIRALAX, MIRALAX, MIRALAX! It will soften your stool much better than stool softeners. In my opinion, it is a miracle drug! My CRS has told me that it is safe to take long-term, but you may want to check with your CRS to make sure. I take a half dose every morning. If I were you, I would start with a full dose and see what effect it has on your stool (you should notice a change within 24 to 72 hours) and then adjust the amount accordingly. I started with a full dose but found out that it made my stool too soft. A half dose works perfectly for me. I also take BENEFIBER every single day (9 grams) which doesn't bulk up my stool the way METAMUCIL did. This combination of MIRALAX/BENEFIBER, plus a high-fiber diet and lots of water, has given me consistently soft yet formed stool, which is easy to pass. Good luck!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby notmuchfunanymore » 08 Mar 2012, 21:57

Are Miralax and Benefiber safe for breastfeeding moms?
notmuchfunanymore
Salt Bather

Postby pat123 » 09 Mar 2012, 10:33

I went through the same cycle, even using the colax that the GP told me to use. The key is not to have the bulky BMs at all.
I found Miralax here and it helped a LOT... I cut down my fiber a little, i was getting too much, and used a split dose of Miralax (clone, clearlax) lunch and dinner (13 and 2/3).
My CRS says it's safe to take long term. I don't know about miralax and breastfeeding tho...
Hope you feel better! Image
pat
pat123
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 09 Mar 2012, 11:20

I can't imagine why Miralax and Benefiber wouldn't be safe while breastfeeding (in my opinion), but you should definitely check with a doctor or an OBGYN just to make sure before taking them. You can always post a question at JUST ANSWER (go to Google and search for them) and get a response from a licensed doctor or OBGYN (be sure and select the category to ask a doctor). It does cost a few dollars to get an answer, but it is well worth it for the peace of mind. I should point out that I have absolutely no affiliation with them, but I have utilized their services on several occasions and have always been very satisfied (you don't pay if you are not satisfied). You generally receive a response in a few minutes. Of course, you could always call your doctor and ask them, as well. Good luck!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby notmuchfunanymore » 09 Mar 2012, 11:42

Miralax is on my to-do list today.
My problem is I have no idea why I get bulky BM's on some days and not on others, and only at the beginning of the BM. My diet hardly varies and I eat so much fruit & veggies you'd think I'd have diarrhea all the time. But no!
notmuchfunanymore
Salt Bather

Postby ouchouch » 09 Mar 2012, 12:48

I have the same problem! I went to the CRS for the first time (i've had fissures for 10 months, since birth of baby) and she prescribed me Metamucil and didn't even mention Miralax. She said I should eventually wean myself off of Colace, too. But now I'm starting to wonder if I should just start taking Miralax since I'm reading so many rave reviews on it. Like you, I eat TONS of fruits and veggies. I miss my junk food so much!
ouchouch

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 09 Mar 2012, 14:27

Before my CRS recommended Miralax, I had been using Colace (which never worked for me, at least not on a consistent basis) and Metamucil and I found that my stool became VERY bulky, which made it hard to pass. I started adding Miralax into my daily routine and for the first time in my life my stool has been consistently soft but well formed (the ideal stool!). The only downside is that you may have to experiment with the Miralax for a couple of weeks until you find the right dose for you. If you use too much, your stool will be too soft and you may have to go to the bathroom more than usual (not a good thing with a fissure). I started with a full dose and found out that it was too much for me. I now take a half dose daily (along with Benefiber, NOT Metamucil) and it has changed my life! No more straining! No more hard stools! I also found that the Benefiber (9 grams a day) didn't bulk up my stool as much as the Metamucil did, which made the stool easier to pass. You can test the difference between Benefiber and Metamucil yourself. Take a spoonful of each and put it in a little bit of water. The Metamucil will turn the water into a gel; the Benefiber will simply dissolve. In my experience, this effect of the Metamucil added too much bulk to the stool (it made it too wide). However, the Benefiber just kept the stool soft and kept everything moving along to where I now have one soft, well formed bowel movement every morning. Of course, I also get additional fiber in my diet and drink lots and lots and lots of water. And the best part: my CRS said it is safe to take Miralax for life! Of course, you always want to check with your doctor, as well. Good luck!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby notmuchfunanymore » 09 Mar 2012, 14:43

So I looked into it, but looks like Miralax isn't available here (Canada!). The pharmacist told me the equivalent was Restoralax.... anyone have any experience with this? The pharmacist said that it would BULK up the stool (AH!) because its goal is to make stool more regular. I don't need regularity, I just need softness!
I bought it anyway, hoping the pharmacist didn't know what he was saying. And I don't want to try anything that will cause my body to be dependent long-term.
I'm terrified of what tomorrow will bring, scared to try Restoralax.
What's the point of benefiber? I believe that I'm already getting enough fiber, maybe too much.
notmuchfunanymore
Salt Bather

Postby Savaici » 09 Mar 2012, 15:02

It is exactly the same as Miralax in the States.
As far as I know it does not bulk up your stools. It draws water into your bowel and softens your stools.
Here's their website: http://www.restoralax.ca/ENG/What-Is-RestoraLAX.html
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222