HELP! I'm confused about stool size and consistency

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

HELP! I'm confused about stool size and consistency

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 13 Mar 2012, 13:31

PLEASE HELP! I am VERY confused about what size and consistency I should be striving for with my stool. I can control the size and consistency of my stool pretty easily (i.e., lots of Miralax + less fiber = soft stool, like the consistency of melted ice cream; less Miralax + more fiber = soft, smooth but large and formed stool about the width and shape of hot dog)
I have found that when my stool is very soft (i.e., like melted ice cream) I have no pain at all during a bowel movement and almost no pain or spasms following a bowel movement.
However, I have been to two (2) top colorectal surgeons, as well as a physical therapist for pelvic floor muscle retraining (basically helping me relax my sphincter muscles to reduce the spasms) and ALL three of them have said that my goal should be the soft, smooth yet larger formed stool.
This seems counterintuitive to me, especially since the loose stools reduce or completely eliminate my pain, while the soft, smooth but formed stool generally causes more discomfort.
I always take a bath or shower following a bowel movement, so excessive wiping from a soft stool is not a problem.
Who's right? And why?
By the way, I am currently on Nifedipine.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Re: HELP! I'm confused about stool size and consistency

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 13 Mar 2012, 13:39

By the way, when the stool is soft and formed, it is the consistency of toothpaste and a perfect 4 on the Bristol Stool Scale, if that helps at all.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Re: HELP! I'm confused about stool size and consistency

Postby Baba » 13 Mar 2012, 22:57

I go with my body....maybe the doctors have never experienced a fissure. I keep my bms soft so they don't hurt, when healing is well under way then, and only then, do I take metamucil to make things bulkier. Doing that too soon, and I have tried it several times, just causes more pain as you describe.
Baba
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3