Botox scheduled in 2 days...second thoughts

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Botox scheduled in 2 days...second thoughts

Postby rugbybaby » 18 Mar 2012, 10:31

I am scheduled for Botox in 2 days. I have been suffering straight through since October. The pain has been much better since about a month ago. But, every 4-5 days I'll have a horrible day. No difference in BM, but it'll hurt during, terrible "after burn" and spasms 2-3 hours later for what feels like all day. Image I keep a food log and a poop log (there's an app for that~), no major differences in either.

I am very worried about re-tearing during the surgery and then maintaining correct "BMs" after. At my CRS appointment her using the tiniest anascope (?) I was in huge pain for a week! I assume I retore. BTW, I am choosing not to have the LIS now, due to trying to have a baby within a year. Should I wait and assume I am healing (due to less frequent bad days)? I am so confused!
Any help would be appreciated!
rugbybaby
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Re: Botox scheduled in 2 days...second thoughts

Postby Davo » 18 Mar 2012, 11:10

Hi Rugbybaby,
If you are planning to have a baby in the near future then Botox could possibly be your best option. Are you currently using any prescribed ointments such as GTN?
I was on GTN for over fourteen weeks but it can be a pain applying it all the time, it makes you light headed for a while after application and many people have headaches. Also it wears off between applications.
Botox however is a one off injection lasting around 2-3 months, it saves you the hassle of applying ointments and it means you avoid the side effects of GTN. If you CRS is not doing any other inspections during your procedure then it should not have that much effect on your fissure as the injection is administered from outside the anus.
I hope all goes well for you and let us know how you get on
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby lindwe » 18 Mar 2012, 12:41

Rugbybaby - hang on in there and go for it. If you are trying for a baby I can't help feeling you really need to be pain free for a few months at least.
Good luck on both counts.
Linda
lindwe
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby rugbybaby » 18 Mar 2012, 14:25

Davo-
I have been using GTN since just after Christmas, but it was not helping enough to suffer through the horrible headaches.
I have stocked up on MOM, colace and fiber. Here's hoping for the best! I want to eat hot hot hot chicken wings again (with a beer!)
rugbybaby
Fibre Addict

Postby Davo » 18 Mar 2012, 14:53

Hi,
Headaches are very common with GTN and if they are unbearable then Nifedipine or diltiazem is usually prescribed - were you offered any of these? Failing that I think your only other option at the moment would be Botox.
Ohhh and please don't touch them wings or beer :D
Davo

Postby rugbybaby » 18 Mar 2012, 15:16

I cannot do either of those. I have really low blood pressure, and the GTN is just bearable. I'd be flat on my back!
I learned my lesson with wings and beer already. I literally screamed in the bathroom.
rugbybaby
Fibre Addict

Postby Davo » 18 Mar 2012, 16:22

Unfortunately if that is the case it does seem like Botox may be your only other option.
I am aware that most people who have Botox do have to have follow up injections though however it will save you all the hassle of GTN application and the headaches.
Keep us all up to date on your progress
Davo
Davo

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 18 Mar 2012, 16:42

I would go for it! My CRS didn't recommend it for me or I would have tried it. I know a lot of people who have had success with it, at least for several months (and I would pay a lot of $ to be pain free for even a long weekend).
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8