Fissurectomy Help Re-Tear? Please Advise

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Fissurectomy Help Re-Tear? Please Advise

Postby LosAngelesFissure » 20 Mar 2012, 23:21

Hi all, Image
I had just a fissurectomy in Los Angeles (Glendale) with Dr. Beart. I had my surgery Feb 26 2012 and have been fluctuating in my recovery. Some days I don't have any blood at all, but sometimes I have a streak of blood along the length of the stool. Other days, after I drop the stool and tighten up the sphincter, a drop of blood falls in the water. BMs and the rest of the day is SO much less painful than having a fissure. In fact, the rest of the day isn't painful. Only the actual BM is like a 2 out of 10 pain level.
I'm TERRIFIED that I'm re-tearing sometimes and am just gonna develop another chronic anal fissure. Has anyone in here had a fissurectomy and had a similar experience? How long after your fissurectomy surgery did you have your last blood during a BM? Were there some days where there was no blood and then days where there was blood before you were fully healed?
One more problem: I think the reason my fissurectomy isn't healing as fast as I want to is because I HAVE to strain at the beginning of every BM. After a bit I can relax and it comes out, but it's just a bit harder in the beginning. Maybe it's because I only go once a day in the morning, about 20 min after I drink a cup of coffee? How have ya'll kept your BMs soft? I am taking 3 colace a day, once in the morning, once in the afternoon, and once before bed time. I'm eating about 4 prunes a day and drinking tons of water. Other than that, I pretty much eat whatever I want (try to sneak vegetables in meals when I can).
I've been working out for the last week and it's probably not the best idea...been benching and doing abs. Also running a bit. The day after I worked out (March 14), ran and took N.O. explode (a nitrate) I had more blood on the stool than I have had since the surgery. Since then I've been taking it easy working out but still probably shouldn't.
I've been to two post-op visits (1 week after and 2 weeks after surgery) and the doctor and his Physicians Assistant both say that everything is doing fine. Furthermore, they said that the surgical site COULDN'T turn into another fissure FROM the recovery. They said that a fissure could come back anywhere on my butt, but that the surgical site WOULD heal and would not turn into a fissure again. Is this true? Has anyone heard this? They didn't put anything inside my butt but just spread my cheeks and took a look.
Thank you so much everyone. I'm terrified here and need some Image and advice. Please, ANYONE who has had a fissurectomy reply with any and all comments. Image
LosAngelesFissure
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Fissurectomy Help Re-Tear? Please Advise

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 21 Mar 2012, 00:07

Hi, LAF -
I'm kind of going through the same thing - however, I also had an LIS with my fissurectomy.
My recovery was going pretty well (no blood, no complications) - but a little over a week ago (six weeks' past my surgery) I had a setback, probably due to the fact that I had weaned myself off of the stool softeners, at the casual suggestion of my crs. Anyhow, my bm a week ago was hard, and I had about three days' worth of (post-bm) bleeding. I immediately spoke with a doc on call at my crs's office, and he advised me to go back on Colace (and I added Miralax) and drink a lot of water - all of which I did, and I haven't had blood for about a week now.
I also went in the following day to speak with another doc in my crs's practice (my doc is out of the country for three months) -- and the doc I saw said that bleeding is not unusual, and he did take a quick outside look at my rear - kind of like the quick look you got.
That said, and although the bleeding has stopped, I've had soreness for the past few days, and it's painful. It seems to be in the fissurectomy area, and it does flare-up, post bm. Today I had a lot of soreness, lasting all day --- I would think that if a fissure is excised, then the only part left there is the sewn-up area -- and that is what I hope I haven't messed up.
My crs said (before he left) that it would "rare" to get another fissure after the procedures I've had. I'm thinking that something in there is sore and raw - maybe the fissurectomy area, itself. I don't have any signs of infection, etc. --- I really think that an LIS, by itself, is easier to heal from, than a fissurectomy. I had both, and I'm still not healed.
As far as working out, I won't even attempt it - not for a long time, until I'm thoroughly convinced I'm healed. JMHO.
I'm going to see another doc in my crs's practice, this Friday, just to talk about this soreness.
I will pray for us to be healed. This is not an easy road, for sure.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby workingonit » 21 Mar 2012, 10:20

Hi LAF,
I wouldn't weight lift. Just milder excersize. Why risk it?
IMO
Not had any procedure, but curious about fissurectomies. I often wonder if my af would heal faster if I had one.
LAF, why does your doc believe they help heal?
I know I have scar tissue and a pesky sentinel (an possibly other issues inside)ugh.
I also find it curious that a fissurectomy is less painful than a fissure. It doesn't seem to make sense?
did you have spasms before surgery LAF?
as for the dry front end, well that seems to be a common problem. If you go to 'portal' (next to 'home') and use the search in the lower left side, you might find more on that.
I know Davo had the issue for a while and solved it by changing when he took the stool softeners. I think he takes them in the middle of the meal.
Others take a small bulb/syringe and squirt some olive oil and/or warm water up there 20 min or so before a BM to soften up that end.
I posted some links about emulsification of the stool in the websites facts section. I believe a lot of people with IBS use oil to help with this.
hope this helps!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Fiber is my best friend. » 27 Apr 2012, 20:17

I am new to this forum, however I have been reading the posts for a few months. I was diagnosed with an anal fissure in January. I had a fissurectomy and several hemorrhoids removed on March 26th. The first two weeks were not fun, as everyone on this board can attest to.
Four weeks after surgery I am going through all of the same issues that you mentioned. Blood in my stool, some strain before going to the bathroom, etc. The Dr said that this is all normal. He said that it will take a few months to get better.
I take powder fiber twice a day and am still taking mineral oil most nights. I am a vegetarian, so I eat veggies, fruits, beans, etc. Drink about 80-100 ounces of water per day.
Fiber is my best friend.

Topics: 1

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 27 Apr 2012, 20:26

Fiber is my best friend. wrote:I am new to this forum, however I have been reading the posts for a few months. I was diagnosed with an anal fissure in January. I had a fissurectomy and several hemorrhoids removed on March 26th. The first two weeks were not fun, as everyone on this board can attest to.
Four weeks after surgery I am going through all of the same issues that you mentioned. Blood in my stool, some strain before going to the bathroom, etc. The Dr said that this is all normal. He said that it will take a few months to get better.
I take powder fiber twice a day and am still taking mineral oil most nights. I am a vegetarian, so I eat veggies, fruits, beans, etc. Drink about 80-100 ounces of water per day.

Yes, it does take awhile for some of us to heal. Healing times really seem to vary, according to what I've read here. I had a LIS and fissurectomy, nearly three months' ago - plus a bad setback - and I'm still not quite healed . . . BUT, I am much, MUCH better - pretty much living a "normal" life - just some remnants of tenderness, some pain here and there.
Diet is so, sooo important. I'm nearly a vegetarian, too - and this whole experience has made me more aware of food, in general. I cannot believe what kind of (and how much!) food people will eat! Sounds like your diet is very good. --- Just give yourself a lot of time to heal. That's what I've had to do.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11