Has any one healed their chronic fissure without medical int

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Has any one healed their chronic fissure without medical int

Postby pgre » 28 Mar 2012, 12:50

Hi Everyone,
I was wondering if anyone on here had healed their chronic fissure without any medical treatment/prescription ointment? If so
1. How long did you have your fissure for
2. How painful was it ?
3. What did you use?
I'm trying to heal my fissure of 4.5 months and it is such a struggle. I've read so many healing stories on the internet and I run out and buy whatever someone suggests, but maybe I'm not sticking to one thing long enough. Does anything think that taking Miralax alone can heal a fissure if it doesn't re tear for abt 1-2 months or is medical intervention still needed.
It's nice to have support in this forum , hope all of you guys feel better soon.
THanks
pgre
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Re: Has any one healed their chronic fissure without medical int

Postby notmuchfunanymore » 28 Mar 2012, 13:36

I initially had almost healed after having my fissure for about 4-5 weeks. At the time I was only controlling my diet, drinking prune juice every night, and sometimes applying diltiazem. Unfortunately, I was only pain free/ blood free for about ten days when I gave my diet some liberties, the prune juice became less effective, and I re-opened. Image
I'm hoping that I can re-heal with added Miralax in my diet, I'm in a lot less pain but progress seems to be at a stand still for the last 2.5 weeks.
I say a Hail Mary when I poo.
notmuchfunanymore
Salt Bather

Topics: 17

Postby pgre » 28 Mar 2012, 13:41

notmuchfunanymore,
How long have you had your fissure for? Miralax does help alot, hopefully it will heal. My Dr. wouldn't give me diltiazem since I'm breast feeding but I"ve heard that some women have used it .
Seriously my life revolves around my butt now, it's hard to get it off my mind.
pgre
Salt Bather

Postby workingonit » 28 Mar 2012, 14:34

pgre,
I sometimes wonder if using too many things on our butts only aggravates AFs. it probably would be best to just stick to one. I'm trying to just use coconut oil (but I use an aloe based lubricant when I dilate).
But really the various topicals won't heal you themselves, IMO. I think it is 80% diet and then trying to get that area to relax.
I forget, did your doc offer botox?
Perhaps you need to see a different doc and get another opinion?
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby notmuchfunanymore » 28 Mar 2012, 14:46

pgre,
did your doctor give you a reason why you can't use Diltiazem while breastfeeding??
I'm breastfeeding and my doctor knows that, yet he still prescribed it to me and didn't mention anything.
I've now had my fissure for 3 months, been using Miralax for 3 weeks, and like I said, reduced pain but I seem to be at a standstill for healing progress.
I say a Hail Mary when I poo.
notmuchfunanymore
Salt Bather

Topics: 17

Postby chibilink » 28 Mar 2012, 18:50

I don't want to speak too soon, but I have made huge strides from where I was just a month ago. It was only about a month ago when I was in the ER with pain so bad I couldn't sit or stand... All I could do is just lay on my side. Since then I've gotten on a regemine of prune juice, dulcolax, and high amounts of water and after only 2 weeks of perfect BM's (soft, none straining), I have no pain during BM's and I no longer have any of the spasming pain afterwards. Every now and then, I do get a LITTLE sore around the anus if I sit for really long periods, or run for more than 5 miles, but this pain is extremely minor and nothing at all like I experienced for the past 5 months. I still am on my regemine and I plan on staying this way for a while. I've been pain free for two weeks and I am praying to not have any more set backs for the foreseeable future.
chibilink
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Tuberose » 28 Mar 2012, 23:39

I found manuka honey helped heal my AF quickly. It's very good for open wounds and is anti bacterial. They use it in hospitals for deep wounds so u can imagine how potent it is ...use pure new zealand manuka honey, the higher the UMF the better, UMF20+ is what I use but it can go up to 40
Tuberose
Fibre Addict

Topics: 9

Postby sailorgal » 29 Mar 2012, 07:05

thank you, Chibilink and Tuberose for your positive stories and suggestions.
Tuberose, what is manuka honey?
sailorgal
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby pgre » 29 Mar 2012, 19:51

notmuchfunanymore:
I don't know why my GP wouldn't prescribe Diltiazem, I think she didn't know much about fissures/treatment.
chibilink:
Nice to know that you're healing. Gives us hope:)
Tuberose:
How long did it take for you to notice that the honey was working? Did you insert it into the rectum or just on the surface?
I ordered Medihoney today, it has Manuka honey in it. Also I was wondering what does UMF mean?
Thanks
pgre
Salt Bather

Postby pgre » 30 Mar 2012, 22:04

workingonit,
I totally agree that using too many things just aggravates our AF's, I have so many creams/ointments and I don't stick to any long enough to know which one is effective.
My Dr. didn't offer botox, I don't think she knew much about anal fissures. She was looking at me like I was crazy.
I changed my medical group yesterday, so I'll probably be seeing another Dr. next week.
pgre
Salt Bather