Need help with figuring out what I have

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Need help with figuring out what I have

Postby MikeCM » 11 Apr 2012, 13:41

I had a really bad bowel movement a month ago that I know caused a fissure. There was pain at first but that is now gone. I now think I now have what is called a Sentinel Tag. Its internal and does not cause me any pain but does feel a bit uncomfortable. I am currently in Afghanistan and need to have my problem identifed so that I will know what action I need to take if any. Any advice is great and I have pictures if any are needed. Thank
Mike
MikeCM

Topics: 1

Re: Need help with figuring out what I have

Postby workingonit » 11 Apr 2012, 22:00

Hey Mike,
We really can't diagnose you from a far. Plus we aren't docs. Isn't there a GP you could see there?
If it is internal it is probably one of three things. But I really can't say for sure as I am not a doc.
Hemorrhoid, enlarged papilla, anal polyp. If it doesn't cause you pain, it's probably nothing to worry about. I would be careful to maintain soft BMs for a few more months to make sure the fissure doesn't return and whatever is inside doesn't get irritated further.
If you can see a doc, it is always a good idea to get your concerns addressed by a professional.
Glad your AF is healed!!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby jr2 » 11 Apr 2012, 22:36

Hi Mike...
Like Tanya says, it isn't possible to tell you what is going on but usually sentinel tags occur in fissures that have been present for awhile and have become chronic, as opposed to an acute fissure that heals right up, as it sounds like yours has. Only way to know what is going on is to have a doctor take a look, which hopefully you can do before too long. In the meantime, keeping stool as soft as possible is key. No straining, which is actually important for anyone.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby MikeCM » 12 Apr 2012, 00:25

Thank you for the responses, So I’m thinking as long as there is no pain or any unusual activity down below I should be good until I can see a doctor back home. Like I said before, I have no pain just a weird feeling during BM sometimes but nothing major. Is this something that will eventually go away or something that you think I will need removed? If possible I would like to send a pic for review from someone who may be able to identify what I have. I will see a doctor as soon as I can return to the states.
MikeCM

Topics: 1

Postby jr2 » 12 Apr 2012, 08:54

Mike,
You might be able to access a service online that allows you to consult with a physician for a fee.
The potential for surgical removal depends entirely on what it is. But generally speaking surgeons aren't quick to recommend surgical intervention unless there is clear need to do so, as in the case of severe pain, chronic fissure, bleeding, advanced stage hemorrhoid, or suspicion of cancer. Since it doesn't seem likely any of these apply to you, the likelihood of a surgical intervention is pretty low. But the only way to know for sure is to have a physician examine you to sort out what is going on.
jr2

Topics: 15