Stool Softenor--Long Term Use...

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Stool Softenor--Long Term Use...

Postby BGAN » 28 Apr 2012, 14:14

Does anyone have a thought on how long to use these? My bottle says to not use for more than a week. I am one week post-op and I am loving my nice soft BMs. I am taking three generic colace every night. I am also consuming about 30 grams of fiber a day along with 60-80 ounces of water.
I bought a bottle of Magnesium and was wondering if I should prepare to move over to an herbal remedy vs the softeners. Does anyone have any tips on what's a good dosage of Magnesium for a newbie as well as timing to take it?
Hope everyone is having a nice weekend! Image
BGAN
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Re: Stool Softenor--Long Term Use...

Postby workingonit » 28 Apr 2012, 20:32

Hi,
I would think your doc would have said something if he/she thought you should switch off them so soon. But it doesn't hurt to be prepared as I have heard of their beneficial effect not working as well after a while.
A lot of people here use miralax as it is safer to take for a prolonged period of time. You might want to do a search here and see what you think.
Magnesium differs from person to person. I used to take 250g a day for muscle tension, and don't think it affected my stools. At least I didn't have the runs, as can happen when you take too much. I am 140lb.
Hope you have a good weekend too!!
:D
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Re: Stool Softenor--Long Term Use...

Postby jr2 » 29 Apr 2012, 14:58

Most physicians seem to agree that stool softeners like Colace are safe to use very long term, even permanently, if necessary, as long as it isnt the Colace that also has a stimulant laxative like senna in it. Same thing for Miralax. Of course, no one can know these things for certain, and no one can know for any given individual. But they're generally nought to be safe.
jr2

Topics: 15