PBD & Skin Tag Removal -- Post Op 10 Days Now

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

PBD & Skin Tag Removal -- Post Op 10 Days Now

Postby BGAN » 30 Apr 2012, 11:30

Hello friends,
I am very much cautiously optimistic now. Things are going really well for me.
I am almost virtually pain free. I have the occasional burning feeling back there, but I would not rate it higher than a 2/10, at it's worst. It's easily alleviated by some OTC Advil.
My BMs have been great. No blood in the bowl or on the toilet paper in the past few days. I had blood on the toilet paper on 2 occasions within the first week, but never in the bowl!
BMs have been large, small, hard, soft and yet they have all felt great. Feel very blessed I never had a painful BM post op. I def had many many painful BMs pre op. I have not used toilet paper either!!! Wet ones, forever!!!!
I am not having anymore of that clear discharge anymore. I can still see a little pus back there but I attribute that to the healing fissure and skin tag site. I like to blot back there frequently during the day with a wet one. I am still wearing my Depends Right Fit. I am not sure if I need them anymore, but I love the confidence I have wearing them. If I didn't wear them, I would leave mini skid marks in my underwear. Very mini and getting smaller everyday.
I am not experiencing any discharge at all, fecal or blood.
I still have a bit of swelling around my anus, just in two small spots, right where the doctor told me the fissure and the skin tag are. It's very small and it's the source of the pain, so I know it's localized.
I am a runner and it's been very tough to not run over the past week. I will continue to abstain from running until I have my 3 week post op visit. I am not doing ANYTHING to jeopardize my recovery.
The toughest part of recovery and my future life is the diet. I have been reading a lot about food since this surgery and I know I have to make a lot changes. I had a very healthy diet originally, but looking back to my pre op diet, it was loaded with protein. Being very athletic, protein was a big part of my diet. Pre op, it would be usual to have hard boiled eggs (2, white only), cheese, chocolate milk (skim), Greek yogurt, and fish every day. I also ate a lot of white rice and a lot of candy for dessert. I think that's gave me such hard BMs.
As of late, I am not eating any of that stuff really. I am still eating really healthy, but it's way more veggie and fiber based. It's tough. You really have to focus on your diet. This weekend was hard b/c it was my first wedding anniversary. We had quite the foodie dining weekend planned. I made a few better choices at dinner and throughout the weekend, but it was still hard. It's hard to to realize that I will have to make better choices for the rest of my life. I AM NOT DOING THIS AGAIN.
I eat fiber gummies (5g per two gummies), Metamucil, and Gnu Bars, plus a fiber loaded diet. I am using 3 generic colace before bed. Thinking about working Magnesium in my diet soon and dropping the colace.
Well, back to work!
BGAN
BGAN
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Re: PBD & Skin Tag Removal -- Post Op 10 Days Now

Postby Trifox » 30 Apr 2012, 14:31

Congrats on your recovery! I had the same surgery 9 weeks ago. I had multiple tears down to the muscle!!! And a skin tag removal. I had gone to my doctor monthly asking for a permanet fix, and he would continue to give me creams. This Febuary I had the surgery and I am glad I did. I am a triathlete that also loves to run, bike and swim. I was advised after surgery not to run for 4-6 weeks and wait 3 months before I could bike again!! My heart dropped when he told me this, because I was planning on doing an Ironman in May and he didnt want me to bike till June.
I have been running for 3 weeks now and started to bike now. I hope I don't regret it, but I am taking it slow.
The 6 weeks right after surgery I swam, walked and lifted weights to keep active. You will feel the burning sensation and some discharge...I know gross right! But coming from a person that has no patience... its important to wait and let it heal completley, so you never return to the anal fissure nightmares.
Take fiber pills, wipe with wet wipes, and be patient:) Let me know if you have any question!!
Trifox
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby jr2 » 30 Apr 2012, 15:10

So glad to hear that both of you are doing better and continue to see improvement!
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby workingonit » 30 Apr 2012, 15:15

BGAN,
It's so great to hear that you are doing so well.
Don't worry, you will learn to love brown rice! White rice just tastes like nothing to me now. Flavourless garbage.
I was wondering what the fibre gummies are like? What's the brand name? I am looking for something I can send with my daughter to camp as she never eats her veggies. Image
Thanks,
Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby BGAN » 30 Apr 2012, 15:57

They taste awesome. They're called Vita Fusion. I buy them at bed bath and beyond. They also sell them at costco. But the two times I got them from costco they were stale. They're a bit pricey but for the awesome taste and ease of getting fiber, they're worth it. 5g for two bears
BGAN
Salt Bather

Postby BGAN » 30 Apr 2012, 16:01

And thank you both Tanya and Jr.
BGAN
Salt Bather

Postby 44alegna44 » 01 May 2012, 06:21

Bgan, Image Image
This is just great to hear! We hardly get to hear about any medical dialations around here as an option for treatment and it's wonderful to get the information from those who've had this procedure done. I'm thrilled to know that you're feeling so well.
Thank you for keeping us abreast as you continue through your healing...
Trifox, Image Image
So glad to know of your success as well..May I ask where you had your surgery?
Best wishes for continued progress and healing!
Angel
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby BGAN » 01 May 2012, 15:47

Thank you Angel. I am looking forward to my post op visit with my CRS next week. Very interested in asking him why this procedure is so unknown around the country. We never really talked about that. I only found out about its rarity after electing to undergo it!
Hopefully I can get some good info to post here.
Today was another good day. Thinking I can get rid of my Depends now. I probably will only wear them if I am going out somewhere that I would be really worried about a leak of some sort. I am not spotting (blood) at all anymore and the discharge is minimal if anything.
BGAN
Salt Bather

Postby 44alegna44 » 01 May 2012, 17:00

Image Another step forward...YAY Image
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby jr2 » 01 May 2012, 21:52

BGAN,
So glad it was another good day for you!
Oh yes, it would be great to hear any information your doctor could share. It's probably a long shot to ask him, but if you might ask if he has any knowledge of other physicians in other locations in the US who are performing the dilation, that old be awesome.
Again, so happy you are feeling better and better each day!
jr2

Topics: 15