Almost 3 weeks post PBD with Skin Tag Removal

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Almost 3 weeks post PBD with Skin Tag Removal

Postby BGAN » 07 May 2012, 08:20

Hi friends,
Just a quick post today. I have my three week post op visit later in the week, it will be three weeks on Thursday. I am writing a bit early to talk about an all to uncommon set back...
I was doing really great for the first 10-13 days. Right around the two week mark I noticed some blood (just drops) on the wet one with my second BM of the day. I thought b/c of that trend I should eat a bit less fiber during the day and hopefully just go once a day in the BM. Well, I have been able to do that and the morning BMs are okay, only a bit of blood.
Well this morning, I had the greatest set back of yet. I saw it.....yep...blood in the bowl. Only a few drops, but it was there. I had been reassuring myself of the procedures success by stating over and over again "I have not had blood in the bowl." Well, it happened.
This mornings BM was certainly a bit bigger than expected and maybe a bit harder. I may have been a bit more casual with my diet yesterday, but it wasn't anything out of control. In fact, I even commended my restraint in light of all the pig out options I had...
I am eating about 30 grams of fiber a day and a very healthy diet that includes fruit about 3-4 times a day and salad and veggies at night. Plenty of H20. I have been taking Magnesium in the am (500mg) and 3 colace a night. I am thinking about adding a Magnesium to my nightly regimen. I am going to try that tonight before adding Miralax which I believe could be my next step, if needed.
I also do 3 sitz bath a day, with epsom salt as of late. Not sure I have an opinion on the epsom salt yet.
I have a bit of pain. It's a very light burning sensation. I would say it's a 1/10, 2 at the most. I don't remember having this too often pre op, maybe on a bad day.
I am trying to stay very encouraged. I don't know what to think really though. I am soo glad that I got the skin tag removed. I am pretty sure I healed from that site. No blood or clear liquid anymore. No more Depends!
I am not sure what I expect to hear from my doctor. If the appt was today, I am sure he would see an open AF back there or open something.
I really miss running. It will be three weeks out. I don't think I could run right now. With the pain back there, I think it would be quickly exacerbated with running. Sitting causes a bit of burning as well.
Okay. That's my life as we speak!
BGAN
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Re: Almost 3 weeks post PBD with Skin Tag Removal

Postby jr2 » 07 May 2012, 14:53

BGAN..
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear you feel you had a setback. It's good that you have a doctor's appt this week though so that you can get a visual checking out on what's going on.
I've actually found my deepest worst setbacks have been from all the fiber I was stuffing myself with. Backing off on fiber, and particularly insoluble fiber, has made things much easier on me. A stool softener and more moderate amounts of fiber, with an emphasis on soluble fiber, has made some noticeable changes for me so far. I know we're all encouraged to stuff ourselves with fiber, fiber and more fiber, but for me anyway, huge amounts of fiber just make for huge problems.
Anyway, try not to be discouraged. A lot of people have setbacks in their surgical recovery, and often times they find the setback is pretty minor and they get back on track pretty quickly, far more quickly than prior to surgery.
Wishing you the very best, and blood free days to come!
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby 44alegna44 » 08 May 2012, 09:11

Oh Bgan,
I feel terrible that you've had to experience a step back when all seemed to be going in such a positive direction...I know, for me, my set-back felt like a blow to the gut Image. I'm really sorry.
I do think tho, as Jr2 said, on the plus side here is that you're doc's appt is this week...having this seen and checked out asap is gonna be the best thing to nip it in the bud. So please do your best to stay positive that this is just a little hiccup here and you'll be back to healing steadily as before. :D
Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers,
Angel Image
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby BGAN » 08 May 2012, 09:30

Thank you JR and Angel! You both have been so positive and supportive. Very thankful for your words and our ability to connect with each other on this board. I am blessed to have a loving and supportive wife, but being able to connect on here with people that are living with an AF is invaluable and often reassuring.
I am very much looking forward to my appt tomorrow am. Today was another depressing day. BM was nice and soft, but had a bit of blood droplets as well as on the TP.
All I know is that I am doing everything in my power to heal this AF as well as the excision site. Not sure which is open though.. I am not going to let it get to me too much. There is no point. I have learned so much on this board and all I can do is implement it. If I do as much as I can, then the rest is out of my hands.
BGAN
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Postby jr2 » 08 May 2012, 14:43

BGAN
yes, all any of us can do every day is the best we know how and to take it as comes and try not to add any additional stress to what is happening by making assumptions about what is or isn't happening. One of the things I've found so frustrating about fissures is that it really isn't something you can see for yourself so we have to rely on doctor appointments that are often spaced out over long periods of time. Sure, we have the pain levels and bleeding to tell us something is not right, but not knowing what's going on down there and to see for myself can be a little maddening at times.
I think you're right about support from others who are going through the same thing you are. I think having that source of support only helps to strengthen the relationships we have in our lives.
Keep us posted about your doctor visit tomorrow, ok?
jr2

Topics: 15

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?