Concerned after 11 months post LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Concerned after 11 months post LIS

Postby reidgirl » 07 May 2012, 15:06

Its been a long time since I posted. After my LIS last June, things have pretty much returned to normal. I still take a half a cap of Miralax nightly, even though my CRS said I could wean off of it after the surgery. Up u it, this morning, I would say I have been pleased with the surgery.....however, I had a pinkish red on the tp after my BM this morning. I also had to go several times....think the buffalo chicken I ate didn't agree with me. My stools were also red. Every time I wiped, the paper looked pinkish. Of course, I am freaking out at this point. It's my birthday, for gods sake, I didn't want this NOW. After I got to school, I started thinking about what else I ate yesterday and remembered having a piece of red velvet cake with my friend yesterday afternoon. I have read that it can definitely cause you to have red stools. Has anybody experienced this? I don't feel the prickly feeling like a retear, although I'm prepared it may be. Im headed to the hot bath now. Thoughts?
reidgirl
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Re: Concerned after 11 months post LIS

Postby restoremybody » 07 May 2012, 15:24

Hey, don't freak quite yet. Are you in pain? I haven't had LIS but I do know that food dyes can very much change the color of your stool. the red dye in the cake/wing batter may have just changed the color. Have normal healthy food today and see what tomorrow brings
restoremybody
Salt Bather

Topics: 20

Postby reidgirl » 07 May 2012, 15:32

Thanks! I feel the same, other than I did have to go several times today. The stools were always reddish and the tp a watery pinkish color....not the bright red dots like I used to have. I just soaked in an extremely hot tub and feel better. Here's hoping it was just the dye!
reidgirl
Fibre Addict

Postby jr2 » 07 May 2012, 17:22

If you didn't have pain I would assume it's the dye or something you ate.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby reidgirl » 07 May 2012, 17:35

Thanks jr2!
reidgirl
Fibre Addict

Postby Bambi » 08 May 2012, 11:59

So I have been AWOL for a long time from the site, but I'm happy to be able to chime in on this one. I would say that it is about 100% that it was the red velvet cake. It is notorious for causing red stools. So don't worry and enjoy your birthday! Maybe switch to white cake?
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72