Ointments/Oils?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Ointments/Oils?

Postby DynaMike » 13 May 2012, 15:59

Hello,
I was wondering what over the counter ointments and/or oils everybody uses for relief/repair on their fissures? Particularly when it is really hurting. I know it is probably best to go get a prescription like nitroglycerin, nifedipine, or diltiazem, but has anyone found that anything over the counter that helps?
DynaMike
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Re: Ointments/Oils?

Postby jr2 » 13 May 2012, 17:40

Hi DynaMike...
I have a bunch of different things I use at different times.
My favorites though are ...
Aubrey Organics Aloe Vera (the only aloe vera that I can use)
Sweet Bee Blessed Magic Healing Cream
Hyland's Homeopathic Calendula Ointment
Jurassic Secret Emu Oil
I also use Medihoney to keep the microbial count down in the wound and to promote healing.
I've pretty much tried everything i know to try and these products consistently give me the best pain relief with no harmful or irritating ingredients.
I know others really like coconut oil, but I can't apply that topically. It stings too much. So I use it for cooking instead to get the healing benefits of coconut oil.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby DynaMike » 13 May 2012, 18:07

Thanks! Do you think I'd have to order those online, or are any of those things that you think Walmart/Walgreens or my local health food/drug store would have?
DynaMike
Fibre Addict

Postby jr2 » 13 May 2012, 18:25

Medihoney is the only one I have to get online.
The other ones I find in my local health food store, so it's totally possible that at least one, if not more, would be available in a health food store. You might try googling for the home page of each company and see if they have a store locator function on their websites.
jr2

Postby jr2 » 13 May 2012, 18:42

Oh, and my other tip... some people use their bare finger to apply creams. I don't do that for two reasons. One is I don't want to introduce any potential bacteria into my fissure, even if I have washed my hands thoroughly. Also, I don't want to touch the ointment in the jar for the same reason. Further, you just never know when a sharp piece of your fingernail or a hangnail might get caught, ouch. So, you can use a Q-tip, as some people will do. But I prefer to use a finger to gently massage the creams and oils in. The gentle massaging helps relax the muscles and also brings circulation to the area. They sell finger cots at the drug store, but they are expensive, so I just buy sterile medical exam gloves instead and cut the fingers off and use the cut off finger of the glove over my index finger to make my own finger cots.
jr2

Postby DynaMike » 13 May 2012, 19:11

Very helpful Jr2! I will search for those ointments tomorrow. They are all available on Amazon (Except the Jurassic Emu Oil) so worst case scenario, I can at least order them. Thanks again!
DynaMike
Fibre Addict

Postby jr2 » 13 May 2012, 21:11

If you do decide to try anything, let me know what you think either way. Topicals, of course, don't heal the fissure, but in my experience can be very helpful in the process of healing by providing some comfort and pain relief, which in turn promotes a healing environment in the body.
And you're correct that getting a prescription ointment from a physician would be a good idea, to at least give that route a try ...
Good luck!
jr2