9 months in, opinions welcome!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

9 months in, opinions welcome!

Postby Iona » 19 May 2012, 09:27

Hello all,
Thought I'd pop on here for an update.
Its been about 9 months since I first got my fissure, and I am looking for some thoughts.
I am on the movicol - finally got it on prescription which is saving me a fortune!
It keeps the symptoms at bay generally, every now and then - mostly due to me eating like a fool! -i get a bit constipated and i have a bit of a re tear.
I realise that I have it fairly easy compared to some of you who can't seem to get any proper relief at all and i wish you guys some peace and hope you can find a reasonably solution. Image
It is having an impact on my life, still cant cope with car journeys and the like. Its not getting worse, but I guess the thing is that I don't feel like i am really improving at all. I have sort of leveled out with a dependency on the movicol. I started to stop taking it and that went really really badly.
My GP is happy to keep me on the movicol after we had a bit of a discussion about surgery. Personally I would rather just keep on with the movicol as taking one sachet of that a day seems a better option than the risk of incontinence from the op.
I would really appreciate any thoughts you guys have on this at this point.
Many thanks, Image
I hope you are all doing well,
Iona
Iona
Fibre Addict

Topics: 9

Re: 9 months in, opinions welcome!

Postby Sue27uk » 19 May 2012, 13:12

Hi Iona, I also hope you are doing well. I am 16 months into this now and similar to you, I am not in immense pain (I seem to get pain every 1-2 weeks then it subsides and improves), but do get niggles and some pain at times. I have been carrying on. I had botox in November, though I have to admit it wasn't the most pleasant experience for me. Please don't let that affect any of your decisions though, it has worked for some people! I'm not sure where you are, but I am in the UK and waited 6 months for my follow up appointment which happened last week. I have got to the point where I have got used to living life as ok as possible, but feel like this isn't enough anymore. I want to live my life to the full in as much a way as possible, so have decided to pay privately for another opinion. I am going next Thursday. Typical that after my appointment I was bleeding and in pain and I cancelled a sigmoidoscopy, this was partly due to them having done this before and found nothing! But now I am better again. I have still decided to go ahead with the private consultation as I want my life back completely.
Sorry alot of thinking aloud here. To summarise, I think its a personal decision what you do. Surgery does not have to be the only option, there is dilation (from what I've read on here though never been offered it or been through it myself). Plus you could try the botox as it relaxes the muscle. I presume you're trying creams etc to control it. I find I can control it but even though its superficial it never seems to completely go! I wish you the best in what you decide, if you are happy to continue the way you are then do so, if you find it too much then I'd do something about it. I have reached this point!! Only you will know when you have got to that point :) Image
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21