Tired of this....does it ever end?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Tired of this....does it ever end?

Postby anybodyguy » 20 May 2012, 10:08

Hey,
So I have been through almost everything by this point, and I'm fed up. Here is my situation.
I had a fissure for 3 years (started when i was 24). Tore open again every few weeks like clockwork. To make matters worse, I live in Asia and have no health insurance, so it was a bit hard to deal with. Finally, after 3 years, I decided enough was enough and went to Thailand for surgery.
So after lots of research, i found a very reputable board certified CRS there at the most prestigious hospital in the country. Had LIS and fisurectomy done. Cost me far more money than I could afford, but I figured it was worth it.
Wrong. The guy did a TERRIBLE job. Not only was I in pain for 2 solid months, but I developed gas and mucous incontinence that has not, and may never, go away. In addition, I developed a fistula at the incision site. Both of these complications happen in less than 1% of patients. So the likelihood of having BOTH of them happen is ridiculously low....but i guess i have some bad luck.
So that was in February. By April i realized something was very wrong. I went to another CRS (in Tawian this time) and was told I had a fistula. Not willing to take more risks, I waited a month to see the best CRS in Taiwan, and managed to get scheduled for surgery. 2 days later, i was back under the knife for a fistulectomy.
So that was 3 weeks ago. Since then, i have been resting and trying to recuperate, and i thought it was working. I was in very little pain, had no more discharge, and was finally feeling better. So, since I am now broke from months of doctor bills and recuperation, i decided to go back to work.
Within 2 days, I not only had pain again, but mucus incontinence as well. I wonder if this is ever going to end. Did the surgeon in Thailand do permanent damage? Am i stuck with this for life?
Anyway, that's about it. Sorry to rant, but this is starting to get to me.
anybodyguy
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Tired of this....does it ever end?

Postby Jenbug » 20 May 2012, 11:25

Oh wow that's horrible! I'm so sorry that happened to you! The best advice I can give is to keep surgeon shopping and maybe talk to a GI about diet and how to control your pain in the meantime!
I can't imagine the pain of having all that in such little time!
Jenbug
Salt Bather

Topics: 23

Re: Tired of this....does it ever end?

Postby anybodyguy » 23 May 2012, 10:02

Actually, the pain is tolerable. I'm just tired of having this interfere with my life. Thanks for the encouragement though.
anybodyguy
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2