Dr. say I heale but still feel "not normal"

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Dr. say I heale but still feel "not normal"

Postby restoremybody » 21 May 2012, 20:44

So I went to see my second opinion CRS today. He did a tiny anoscope. I told him I had been feeling better but still feel achey pain and cut like feeling sometimes. I said the fissure was healed. He could see the scar and a papilla (?) How long does it take for this to feel totally normal? Does anything help soften the scar? He said over time the scar will got softer. Please someone tell me that one day I will feel totally pain-in-the-butt free. I still take Miralx everyday. He said I could start cutting back but I am afraid too. Thanks to everyone for sharing.
Tami
restoremybody
Salt Bather

Topics: 20

Re: Dr. say I heale but still feel "not normal"

Postby sailorgal » 22 May 2012, 06:28

Hey Tami,
Congratulations on healing your fissure! It's definitely going to take time to feel totally normal again. Fissures, alone, can take 4-8 weeks to heal. But it takes a good 8months to a year for the scar tissue to remodel itself back to as close to its former "strength" as before the fissure. And my understanding is that it will never be 100% strong as what it was before the fissure. This is why it is important to remain vigilant with your diet, stool softening-bulking efforts for a long while. I am personally healing from a fissure - 1 week out from my 2nd course of botox and my stool is soft with no stool softener, but i get at least 24g of Fiber/day. So that, with plenty of water is enough to keep my stool soft. How much Miralax do you take daily? When I started to cut down after the 2nd procedure, I only cut down to half a dose to see how my stool responds the next day. But at the same time, if you don't feel ready to cut it down, listen to your gut. My 1st CRS told me to cut out my stool softeners 1 week after my 1st botox-fissurectomy and that did not go well for me - i totally retore and kicked myself for listening to her instead of my gut. So, bottom line, you can not go wrong with listening and following your gut on this stuff, especially if you are still tender down there.
sailorgal
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Re: Dr. say I heale but still feel "not normal"

Postby restoremybody » 22 May 2012, 07:01

thanks sailorgal. So there is hope to feel normal again? I take 3/4 dose Miralax everyday, maybe I will start cutting it down to 1/2 dose. I eat mostly pretty healthy. I will make sure I do if I reduce my Miralax. It just seems that so many people write that they are "healed" within a few weeks. Do they not still have these aches? This morning it still feels like a papercut inside though he told me yesterday its healed. Does anyone put anything on the internal scar or will it soften itself?
restoremybody
Salt Bather

Topics: 20