Recovered! tips on how to beat this!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Recovered! tips on how to beat this!

Postby Tom1234567 » 13 Jun 2012, 16:43

Hi
I wanted to give something back and help people because I know how bad spasming anal fissures are (Im a fit healthy 30 year old guy). Ill be as brief as poss:
It started 13 years ago, blood in the toilet, I didnt pay much attention but went to the docs and got suppositories, it fixed it. Kept happening, I found it amazing sometimes at how much blood I lost and that there was no pain.
But things got worse and pretty quick, my anus became itchy, but I was still dismissive of the problem and didnt put the fissure and the itch together, I began getting creams from the docs to fix me. I started my career, settled down with my now wife, got a mortgage, got married and responsibility and desire to live a good life piled up. I now know stress's were increasing - stress is funny its affects different people in different ways, maybe Im an anxious person, you wouldnt think it if you knew me but I think I am.
Anyway, there was a definate correlation with this problem and stresses in my life. Soon enough I was having bouts of serious spasms, I had weeks off work, I was bed ridden. I started eating fiberous foods, because I read it may help soften stools. It felt like the tubes leading to my anus were too big for my anus to stretch and it ripped every time. The pain was excruciating like passing razor blades. When I went to the docs again I was told he'd not seen anyone worse than me (great help!). The cream no longer worked.
Road to recovery: Went for an operation, I had botox injections, it worked for a while but the spasms came back. I then went for another op, again botox. This second operation coupled with:
1. Reducing stress
2. Better diet
3. Laxatives
4. Clean properly
Fixed me.
1. Reduce stress - It took a while for me to figure out this was brought on by stress. 'I dont get problems related to stress' I was in denial. I was the most stressed about the problem and how I was going to manage to walk because of the pain, or I need to make sure I get a seat on the train on the way to work because the spasms go crazy when I stand up... The operation gave me that restbite to relax about the problem. Things at home got better too, my child was born, and I relaxed into fatherhood.
2. Better diet - This is the very important, eat soluable fibres, eat apples and pears, one of each a day, Im sure the saying 'an apple a day keeps the doctor away' comes from someone in the past who had this probelm and identified that it helped. Figure out what makes your stools hard, take the time to figure this out, mine was pasta and banannas.
3. Laxatives - I was using lactulose with every meal, you can get it from the pharmacy in the UK, its cheaper than via the docs.
4. Clean properly - everytime after I passed stools I get wet toilet roll and clean until Im spotless. I used Andrex Aloe Vera toilet rolls (I tested loads) and its the best by far, it holds together well when wet and the aloe vera helped heal the fissure. Also keep your anus dry, never leave it wet.
Back to the story, after the second op I developed a skin tag which grew and at the same time I became infected, I there was serious bouts of puss and my underwear was a mess everyday. But the spasms went, due to reducing my stress! I was getting puss for a year, and the 4 points above didnt get figured out overnight, it just started to come together like a jigsaw.
To help with the infection I got some antibiotics and overtime the skin tag retracted back (its gone now). Im now 6 months recovered, completely off the laxatives and eating a pear and apple a day.
Things I tried but didnt work, hot baths before passing stolls, hairdryer to dry my bum, some of the creams.
This problem didnt get fixed overnight, it upsets me now, how much pain this problem both myself and my wife, it ruined the excitment of the birth of my first child etc. I spent 11-12 years with just blood, 3-4 years with anal spasms, and a year of infection (I had a body scan to see if I had fistulas, because the infection wouldnt budge after a few round of antibiotics - luckily I didnt). And now Im fixed.
I just wanted to give back, if just one person reads this and finds help Ill be happy. Good luck with everything and post me if you want me to offer advice.
Tom
Tom1234567

Topics: 1