Hello and help

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Hello and help

Postby jerryj » 25 Jun 2012, 21:22

Hi All
I have had a problem for many years. It was painful but I managed. Last fall I was diagnosed with Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma. I underwent Chemo and radiation. In the course of the chemo my fissures took on epic proportions. I was only able to manage with the aid of pain medications. I finished cancer treatment in March and needed to deal with the fissure problem. Nothing worked so I had botox surgery April 2nd. Things were worse so I had another surgery a week later. This time I had a sphincterotomy. I did get some relief in the fact that the pain period reduced from 12 to 16 hours to 4 to 6 hours. Though as time goes on the period is getting longer. I have been to two different colorectal surgeons looking for answers. All I get is skeptical glances and statistical information which basically says I am lying and just looking for drugs. I have not had perscription pain meds in over a month.(They had me believing that perhaps dependency was causing the pain.) I cannot function and am at the end of my rope.They want to do more surgery but I don't want more. The side effects from the last two have been difficult. I cannot control my flatulence at times and I now bleed constantly. Also I have lost the urge mechanism for bowel movements. I just feel like this is cronic and don't know what to do.
thanks for listenng-Jerry
jerryj

Topics: 1

Re: Hello and help

Postby Greyson » 28 Jun 2012, 10:40

Hello Jerry....I am very sorry that you had to go thru all of this. It sounds to me like you need to try and search out another doctor. If you are not getting help with the other 2 than you need more advise. I have had my fissure now for 2 months and after a BM it would at times throb for 10 hours straight. My doctor is very good and gave me some cream that is suppose to help it heal faster but it's still taking it's time. Are you using any topical creams at all? Please try another doctor for help and try other things that people on here are talking about. I'm thinking of trying different things until I find what works for me. Stool softeners is a must to prevent the hard stool as that only hurts worse. It's very frustrating I know because you want it to go away and everyday you get up and it's the same thing. I have been getting depressed myself and so I was glad that I found this site to talk to others who are going thru the same as me. If you ever need to talk just give a hollar....I am with you and I know your pain my friend. Take Care! Image
Greyson
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Hello and help

Postby Kat » 29 Jun 2012, 16:30

Hi jerry
You have had a rough time. My sympathy goes out to you.
You want a doctor who is competent, but also caring and sympathetic. You want one who will work with you to help you get through this. Perhaps you could seek out another doctor's opinion?
I had the surgery last week and took the prescribed painkiller (codeine phosphate) for just the first day (and managed to get constipated) so am now just using paracetamol for the pain as my fear of getting constipated and the associated pain is far greater than the pain I experience now. Sounds like you are a little further down the track tho if they're talk yet more surgery.
Kat
Salt Bather

Topics: 6