I'm new. Having surgery in 1 week.

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

I'm new. Having surgery in 1 week.

Postby caliman » 01 Jul 2012, 00:53

Hello everybody, I'm happy to find such a group, living with this can be embarrassing, Thank you to whoever created this forum. Well I have been dealing with this for over a year now, the pain, the doctor visits, the medications, missing work due to horrendous pain, bleeding. Finally, I am scheduled to have a fissurectomy on July 9th. I am 31, married, father of two kids, and yes this is a major drain in my life, I am losing income due to taking days off work and doctors taking me off work. I hope that all this suffering comes to an end, soon. At first I thought the pain would eventually go away on it's own, I was totally wrong, the pain got worse to the point where I couldn't think clearly. I pray to god that this surgery makes this go away 100%. I can't remember how it is to live without feeling pain.
caliman
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: I'm new. Having surgery in 1 week.

Postby jr2 » 02 Jul 2012, 10:11

Hi Caliman,
Wishing you all the best with your surgery.
One question.
Are you only having fissurectomy?
Most surgeons feel that fissurectomy without either performing LIS or Botox or standardized dilation significantly reduces the chances of successful resolution of the chronic fissure because excising the fissure does not address the underlying sphincter hypertonicity, therefore decreasing the likelihood of success. Did your CRS mention performing any of these additional procedures?
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby caliman » 03 Jul 2012, 05:16

Hi Jr2, Thank you. As of right now all I know is that's it's only a fissurectomy. I have not been told of any other procedures. I have a pre-op appointment july 5th, I'll ask as many questions as I can. I'm extremely nervous to have this surgery done. My surgery is on july 9th. I'll keep updates of my surgery and progress or lack-their-of... I'm happy I'm getting this done, but really do pray it goes away. I've been off work 2 weeks and have 1 1/2 months to go. I'm slowly going down emotionally.
caliman
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby jr2 » 03 Jul 2012, 08:49

I so understand the emotional toll fissures take. Between the pain and the anguish it can be really hard to think straight, but if you're going to make the jump to have surgery you want to have surgery that gives you the best possible odds of healing, and healing permanently. If it were me I would be very hesitant about having fissurectomy alone. If that is your surgeon's plan, as overwhelming as it may sound, I would highly recommend a second opinion from another surgeon.
Please do keep us posted, and any time you're feeling like you need to vent, there are a lot of really wonderful people here to support you.
jr2

Topics: 15