Surgery tomorrow...nervous!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Surgery tomorrow...nervous!

Postby andyk123 » 11 Jul 2012, 12:26

So i had a botox injection about 6 months ago. it didnt heal me, but things are definately better than they used to be. i have torn every 2-3 weeks, but the pain isnt as bad as it used to be when it does tear.
i was scheduled for more botox in august, but 2 weeks ago i tore and got annoyed and rang to ask if i could switch to surgery. they said yes and pencilled me in for just 2 weeks later! since then the pain has been non existant. i have actually eaten things like fish and chips kind of hoping to tear so it would be easier .. if that makes any sense!!!
anyway i am pain free right now..feeling nervous..wondering if i have made the right decision.
as a bit of background i have had the fissure for over a year now!
anyone experienced this? does losing the fear of tearing help things relax?! i hsve been nowhere near as strict as i used to be these past two weeks.
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Re: Surgery tomorrow...nervous!

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 11 Jul 2012, 12:50

Hi Andy:
Good luck on your surgery tomorrow! Personally, I think you are making the right decision. Of course, it's completely normal to be nervous. My surgery is in two weeks and I'm already nervous! Since scheduling my surgery, my pain has decreased, as well. I think this is normal due to the relief of actually scheduling the surgery.
Please keep us updated on your progress following surgery. I'm sure you'll be glad you went forward with it.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Sue27uk » 11 Jul 2012, 16:16

Good luck Andy! Gosh we have both waited so long for this and then we both get it done in the space of a week! Well I had something slightly different but a sort of partial LIS from what I have read. How funny! Well, got to say I didn't have much pain before surgery either, but I'm glad I had it done. It had healed but only on top so come to the conclusion it would never have healed properly like that. Fingers crossed this has done the trick for me! Got to say my recovery hasn't been bad at all. Aiming to be back in work on Monday, was going to go back tomorrow but after a bit of a setback last night decided not to rush it. Wishing you all the luck in the world for tomorrow, and hoping we both get sorted really soon so we can get on with our lives. Keep us updated on how things are going! :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby 44alegna44 » 11 Jul 2012, 19:28

Hi Andy and best wishes to you with the surgery and recovery.
It's very easy to understand the second guessing yourself when you're feeling well upon your approach to surgery. Many of us went through the same thing. But just try to keep in mind the day you placed the call to schedule surgery and what you've experienced with your fissure condition that led you to your decision. I'm sure you wouldn't have opted for surgery without good reason to believe that the cycle of set-backs wasn't improving.
I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers and look forward to your updates.
Angel
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 12 Jul 2012, 17:58

Hi Andy!
Did you go through with the surgery?
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sue27uk » 13 Jul 2012, 02:52

Hope all went well Andy! :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby andyk123 » 13 Jul 2012, 15:49

i went through with the surgery yep! it wasnt that bad..woke up with a sore arse but nothing worse than a bad tear really.
since then it hasnt been that painful..not had any bleeding and not bothered wearing a pad or anything....but i havent had my first bm yet, so im still pretty nervous about that. hopefully its not too bad and things stay relatively pain free!
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby andyk123 » 14 Jul 2012, 03:07

well I had my first bm, and it was agony. Most painful bm I've ever had and I've had plenty of painful ones!!!! Bit disapointed as I've seen a lot of people say their first came out nice n easy and didn't hurt. Mine wasn't like that at all though.
I did think I was gettin a bit of an easy ride!! In the bath now and it is stinging like hell
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 14 Jul 2012, 05:17

Aw Andy,
Sorry to hear that.
I guess it's different for everyone but doesn't mean it's anything too bad. It's bound to be tender and sore down there and after having a few less painless days prior to the op, must be a bit disappointing to be in pain again. I think you just expect everything after an op to start feeling immediately better but it's not like that realistically. Any form of post anal surgery is going to be painful to some degree and the healing process because of where it all is! It'll take a good few weeks to start feeling normal again and even though I initially had a few relatively pain free BM's after my op, once the GA wore off, it all got a bit sorer again after too!...
Just take a few pain killers prior to your BM's if poss to reduce the pain and keep up the hot baths/ good diet and high fluids intake to keep things as soft as possible to help. Hopefully, things will start to get a bit less painful again for you soon and get lots of rest in comfortable positions and remind yourself you're only a day post-op!
Wishing you all the best in your recovery........
Sure it's all normal and if in any doubt, just give your CRS a call.... :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 14 Jul 2012, 06:40

Hi Andy:
Sorry to hear your first BM was painful. Are you doing anything to soften your stool? I am having surgery soon and my CRS said to make sure my stool was very soft (like slightly melted ice cream) after the surgery to minimize discomfort during a BM. I have found that 1 to 1 1/2 doses of Miralax a day works for me, along with moderate fiber intake and lots of water.
Hopefully your next BM will be much less painful.
Keep us updated on your progress.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist