Almost 3 weeks Post surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Almost 3 weeks Post surgery

Postby Sarah J » 11 Jul 2012, 07:31

I just wanted to update those who may be interested in my story. I had the LIS done along with a fissurectomy June 21st. They found hemmorhoids and something else I cannot remember the name of - he said it was like a hangnail. Anyway, I was in much pain for a long time, constantly trying to find ways to keep my bowels soft. Everything I seemed to try only led me to having more BM, yet not soft enough. I finally came to know my body best and have been using Metamucil twice (morning and night) as well as mineral oil (1 Tbsp. twice a day), along with LOTS of water!!!! It seems to be helping my BM be soft, yet not constantly in the bathroom with a BM. My 1st week was constant pain, my 2nd week more up and down days, my 3rd week is getting much better although I have been having a lot of itching. I am ok with that though because I have been told in the past that it's a sign of healing! Anyway, I want to thank whoever set up this forum as it has been very helpful to me as a source of encouragement. Image
Sarah J
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: Almost 3 weeks Post surgery

Postby Ever the Optimist » 11 Jul 2012, 14:15

Hi Sarah,
Glad to hear that you are recovering by the week!... It sounds like you are moving forward and keep up with everything you've been doing for continued healing....I also heard the same about itching and as long as you're confident you are keeping meticulously clean and dry in the recovery area with no signs of infection, I'm sure it's all normal and you're doing fine. I also had my op 3 weeks ago (but a fistulomy for a fistula and not a fissure) and seem to also be healing OK but still a bit sore. Takes a while to get through this bum stuff doesn't it ? !!! All the best to you and hope you get through it all very soon :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again