Surgery tomorrow...nervous!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Surgery tomorrow...nervous!

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 15 Jul 2012, 05:26

Hi Sue!
Well, I guess one of the things I'm learning is that everybody's post-op experience is different. I think you made the right decision last night Sue, as one of the things my CRS told me is that you have to test yourself occasionally to see what your "new and improved" body can handle. If you don't experience any additional pain, that will give you confidence that you are indeed healing. If you do experience additional pain, then you will know your body isn't quite ready for you to skip sitting in the bidet yet. Either way, you do learn something about where you are in the healing process.
I hope you are having a better day today Andy!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby andyk123 » 16 Jul 2012, 07:03

still extremely sore when i go for a bm. never felt pain like it. feeling a bit disapointed but it is early days and i havent lost hope. just feel like things should feel more loose down there..
im almost certain it isnt infected as ive had no discharge or leakage of any kind.
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 16 Jul 2012, 08:43

Hi Andy:
When I spoke with my CRS about the recovery from surgery, he said recovery is like a roller coaster - some days you are up, and some days you are down. He said the key is that you should be improving over time. He said to measure your healing in terms of a week at a time and not a day at a time, and not to be too concerned if you have an occasional bad day or two, as this is to be expected.
He also said the pain post-op would be different than the pain pre-op.
He said if you have an infection your anus will be red, swollen, you will likely have a fever AND (the key) each day things get progressively worse, not better. He didn't mention anything about discharge or leakage, but it makes sense that you could have that, as well.
I hope you have many pain-free days ahead!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby andyk123 » 18 Jul 2012, 13:11

still in a lot of pain going for a bm and for most of the day after wards. pain a liiiittle less today so hoping it will continue to lessen
ive noticed a small lump to the rear of my bum though which i am a little concerned about. ive read about people having lumps before but its not where the incision was, its where my fissure was.
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Kat » 20 Jul 2012, 00:19

I kinda wonder if the ones who say their first post op bm is painless are like those women who say childbirth is painless.... i reckon they make it up to somehow make the rest of us feel inferior... or maybe they're just lucky.
Yes it is slightly weird to have pain free bm's!!! I am four weeks (Day 28) post surgery today and have been largely pain free since Day 15. I for one will never take a painless bm for granted again :) and never want to go back to living life where the bum pain feels normal!!!!
Wow, what a lovely girlfriend to take a peek! I suggested my husband take a look at the wound just after my surgery and he told me where to go... so i got a mirror out and tried to see what was going on for myself. I couldn't actually see much as my surgical wound was tucked away just inside but was amazed at how bruised I was that first week or so following the surgery.
Kat
Salt Bather

Topics: 6