Six weeks later

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Six weeks later

Postby claubson » 15 Jul 2012, 11:44

Hi all.
I had the sphincteronomy six weeks ago and all things considered, it was a great decision. After a full year of bowel movements feeling like knives, there is no pain on a usual trip to the bathroom. Maybe 1 out of 20 times it hurts just slightly, but that's probably comparable to the general population.
For those who may worry about money, I received my bill last week. The surgery is about US$3800, of which I had to pay US$216 after my insurance adjustment. Not too shabby....maybe the smartest $216 ever spent.
The only real issue I have now is the incessant itching. It starts soon after the bowel movement and lasts around an hour. One issue may be the blazing hot summer we've had, so I won't sweat it (pun intended) until the weather cools in September and October. It's possible it's a separate issue from the fissure, we shall see.
Anyway, I won't dive into politics much, but it's absolutely crazy that this 10 minute procedure costs $3800 without health insurance. Something has to be done about this, whether Obama-care is the right way is highly debatable and I can't really answer it. However, if you are fortunate enough to have either private or public insurance pay for this operation, DO IT.
claubson
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Six weeks later

Postby sadies-day » 15 Jul 2012, 16:03

I'm a little over 2 weeks post-op and I can relate to that incessant itching. It's really what drove me to having the surgery in the first place. I had a small fissure with tag and the doc thought it was the combination of the two that was causing the itching. Never had any pain associated with the fissure although I did have some afterwards so now I can relate to others on this board. Anyhow, I never thought the itching would be this bad.
sadies-day
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Postby claubson » 16 Jul 2012, 20:14

Eeek, sorry to hear that. Tucks medicated pads followed up by corn starch powder helps some but I long for the day I need nothing. Good luck to you!
claubson
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby sadies-day » 17 Jul 2012, 16:07

I agree completely. I can't wait for the day that I don't need all kinds of lotions and potions following a BM. Calmoseptine seems to work best for me but it is messy. My CRS said 6-8 weeks for healing so I can only hope that the irritation following a BM goes away by then.
sadies-day
Salt Bather

Topics: 13