Sad Newbie here

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Sad Newbie here

Postby ansenber » 19 Jul 2012, 08:43

Hi everyone,
Just want to say thank you for having this forum available, I have been reading all your posts for a while now, and they have been really helpful. It's just nice to know that there are other people out there who deal with this every day.
My story begins with a horrible case of food poisoning (my father's girlfriend undercooked turkey- we are pretty sure she was trying to kill us all!). Everyone who was at dinner got really sick, my brother got a hernia from vomiting so much! After the food poisoning, I began to notice pain when I would go to the bathroom, just during BM, but it got to the point where it was pretty severe, so I made an appointment with at GI doc.
He told me I had a fissure (did a quick exam) and gave me hydrocortisone suppositories and suggested I do a colonoscopy. The suppositories seemed to help and then I did the colonoscopy, and the doc diagnosed me with Crohn's. Shocking! He wanted me to go on immunesuppressants that cost $800 a month, to which I said, no thank you. I hadn't been feeling any sort of GI distress- I just thought I had a hemmorhoid! So, I went to get a second opinion and was told that the food poisioning could've caused the Crohn's, but if I was feeling fine, then I didn't need the drugs.
So, for about 6 months I was fine, fissure free, eating normally (avoiding certain foods- popcorn, raw veggies) but generally living a normal life. Then I decided I was going to try and get my body back on track by eating lots of veggies. I used to take a salad to work every day for lunch, but had stopped because of the Crohns diagnosis, my body just can't digest the plant fiber. So, I started that again, and man, did I mess myself up...
Now I have been dealing with a fissure, hemmie, and probably a skin tag for almost 6 months. I have a constant aching feeling down there, even when I wake up in the morning. It feels like a bruised tailbone, sometimes makes it uncomfortable to walk. I am staying away from veggies, avoiding alcohol, trying to drink more water. I have the 0.2% nitroglycerin, which seemed to help at first, but now I don't feel any relief. I am going to start the colace, but I really don't feel like my stools are hard, majority of time, I have two regular size stools, then a bunch of little guys (although, it feels like they are huge coming out). I am worried about laxatives, and have had a really bad reaction to taking fiber (severe gas pains- may be due to Crohns?) so I really dont know what else to do.
I have a GI doctor's appointment in a month, don't know if I should ask for the botox, or surgery- I don't know if I can take the time off for the recovery time...
I am 29 years old, trying to have a baby and this just sucks.. What did I do to deserve this???
ansenber

Topics: 1

Re: Sad Newbie here

Postby Neen » 19 Jul 2012, 15:20

Hi! sorry you are going through so much..it sucks big time. I had surgery for my fissure 3 months ago and i was left with a skin tag that i may have removed... not sure...anyway, as for your situation, I think if you are in pain you need to really search yourself to figure out what you should do. The fissurectomy I had was a God send...but it is not for everyone. research and speak with a trusted dr. who can explain all your options. You deserve to know everything before you have it done. I wish I had more advice ...but, seriously, dont wait too long as the fissure could get worse and trust me, it isnt fun. Good luck and keep us posted!
Maureen
Neen
Salt Bather

Topics: 7