Overcoming Embarrassment

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Overcoming Embarrassment

Postby Thinker » 03 Aug 2012, 19:54

Hi, I'm new to this site and I'm just trying to take another step closer to dealing with my problem. 
I have an  Undiagnosed  AF with sentinel pile and possibly a second one growing. I have researched this at great length over the past few years -  symptoms, comparing pictures etc and I'm pretty convinced this is what I have. My AF occurred after a horrible time of domestic violence and sexual abuse and although I'm desperately trying to rebuild my life Im really struggling to get this dealt with through my doctor. I feel so embarrassed and ashamed even though I know I shouldn't be and it's sooooo painful physically I just don't want to be touched there at all at least not while I'm awake. How do people generally deal with sharing such a personal problem with their doctors? Has anybody even had investigation without examination? Thanks 
Thinker

Topics: 1

Re: Overcoming Embarrassment

Postby Thinker » 03 Aug 2012, 19:57

That last bit didn't make sense sorry - I mean has anyone had an investigation under GA without an examination first?
Thinker

Postby De819 » 03 Aug 2012, 21:18

My situation isn't anything like yours. However at first I was so so so embarrassed about it I was ashamed and scared. First I told one person close to me. Then another and another. Now everybody knows I'm not embaraessed it's actually a relief. People know that I'm in pain they offer help or a shoulder to cry on. I can understand the fear itself of having it touched or looked at but having a professional look at it is a good first step. I also attend general counseling because of the anexity from it. As I side note from telling so many people you would be surprised how common of a problem this is.
De819
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby jr2 » 03 Aug 2012, 22:37

Thinker,
Honestly, I've been through so much with medical problems and procedures I don't have embarrassment problems any more. Doctors are trained to be objective, and honestly they see so much of these kinds of things it is pretty routine for them.
That being said, you have a much more sensitive history, having been abused. What I would suggest is that when you go to the doctor, be very up front with the doctor prior to undressing for an exam about your history of abuse. The doctor needs to understand your history so that she or he can be sensitive to any special needs you may have to put you at ease during your examination. Also, an exam for a fissure by a skilled colorectal surgeon really only involves a gentle look at the area. The doctor will gently spread open your anal region to perform a visual inspection. The doctor should communicate with you what is happening and what is going to happen so you can better relax. Some doctors will insert a finger to get an idea of anal tone, but it often can't be tolerated if your fissure is active and deep. Just express your concerns and anxieties to the doctor. It really is okay. It is his/her job to put you at ease. If you are uncomfortable at all with the demeanor of the doctor, you have every right to leave without being examined and find someone else you feel comfortable with. Think of yourself as a customer and the doctor is working for you.
Wishing you all the best.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Firecracker Ass » 04 Aug 2012, 10:12

It took me FOREVER to see a doctor. I just couldn't imagine letting another guy look up my butt, or the humiliation and embarrassment of a woman doing it either. I finally went in to get checked out though and it wasn't bad at all. I didn't really learn much, but he did confirm it was an anal fissure. It was nice to finally know WHAT it was, though I was certain already after doing my own research. I felt better knowing for sure though as I didn't have to worry about more serious concerns like crohn's disease, etc. My original appointment was with a young woman PA, but I canceled and requested a new appointment with one of the head surgeons, male, and older with experience dealing with butt problems. That way I didn't need to get embarrassed again if they needed to call in the real doc. I waited until I was healed a little first as I didn't want them to make the fissure worse. I would advise you to see a doctor ASAP. Make a list of notes and questions, etc. Tell them your concerns and to be gentle and they will. Even if you decide not to let them look at you, at least go talk to them. Make the appointment and get it over with. You will be glad you did.
Firecracker Ass
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby Thinker » 08 Aug 2012, 00:01

Thank you for your replies and encouragement sorry it's taken awhile to respond. I feel I've taken a huge step just sharing this here. Next thing to work on is seeing my doctor. Thanks again Image
Thinker

Postby Fissulyna » 09 Aug 2012, 14:02

Thinker - first I want to say that I am so terribly sorry to hear about what was done to you , my heart brakes , really Image . I know that you hate to be touched but I am still sending you one huge cyber hug Image , it is "air hug", so I hope you do not mind Image .
Second - there is NOTHING doctors did not see or hear in their office and I know it does not make situation easier, but try to concentrate on that fact. There is NOTHING for YOU to be embarrassed about Image - whatever was done to you was that OTHER person's shame and may he /she never see the light after it is time to leave this realm.
Third- you are very , VERY strong person - you ended that horrible cycle of violence and that ALONE is HUGE step and only shows your strength !!!! It took MUCH much more strength to do that than going to any doc. or doing any procedure , you can do it Thinker !!!!! Image
Fourth - you do not have to go into details of how you got your fissure or any other personal details - fissure is a fissure and hemorrhoid is a hemorrhoid, thousands and thousands of people have butt problems , it is just nobody talks about it Image . Since I was openly talking about my butt problems I heard about other people butt problems too LOL - and guess what - my sister has occasional "burning and pain", my mom has hemorrhoids, my mother in law had a fissure, my father in law had a fistula, many of my friends have constipation and some butt issues, even my LAWYER has fissures Image - SO, I am guessing, there is no lack of patients in ANY CRS office !!!!! Image
So Thinker - go, go and see a doctor but find a good one !!!! It is very important - they are not all the same.
Every doctor would like to examine you but if I were you, I would matter-of-fact. explain my situation like this : " I have some excruciating pain in my anus. I suspect a fissure and I came to you for help. I know you will have to do examination but due to my personal issues with that kind of exam it is not going to be possible while I am awake. I am telling you this upfront to see if there is any possibility to arrange sedation. I am a victim of violence and I can not be touched that way. " After that explanation I can not imagine ANY doctor not showing understanding and compassion . Perhaps you can look for female CRS also, if that would be more comfortable !
Wishing you fast and complete healing Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Thinker » 09 Aug 2012, 14:27

Thank you ((( hugs bk ))) thank you so much
Thinker

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion