T minus 7 days to LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: T minus 7 days to LIS

Postby Deleted User 1755 » 16 Aug 2012, 21:54

I don't have much of a plan except that I will take softeners, eat soft foods, drink a ton and hope for the best. I'm toying with the idea of a juice cleanse this weekend. I don't know. I'm getting more nervous about it and I guess I should do some shopping for easy to prepare foods.
Deleted User 1755

Postby Strangeworldaf » 16 Aug 2012, 22:01

I am nervous too but get through it.
Strangeworldaf
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby boodles » 16 Aug 2012, 23:56

I had the LIS about a month ago. Leading up to it, I had already been eating soft foods, and only small portions. The night before the procedure the doctor had me take NuLYTELY to cleanse the colon because he was planning to do a sigmoidnoscopy (flex) right before the procedure. I was very worried that it would be very painful, but I had two nervous BMs before I even started taking the NulYTELY, so when I started drinking that stuff I didn't have much to cleanse.
I am glad I did that, as well as the day of the surgery I only ate a bite of chicken and squash. That was it. The next day, I think I had some mashed potato and squash, but mostly jello and juice. I think it was good to let a few days go by without having a BM, but when I did, it was soft so that didn't hurt, but it sure made the area itch like crazy! (Don't itch, just clean the area!). That is the key, to always have soft BMs or it will hurt. My doc also gave me senosides, I don't know if that is the right term in English, but they sure help to keep my stools very soft. I only have to take half a pill or a whole pill every day or every other day.
After the surgery, when I had to pee, I stood up while in the shower because I was afraid to squat.
It will be ok, things will go well. And the relief is great! Just give yourself time to heal and do the best you can.
boodles
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby Deleted User 1755 » 18 Aug 2012, 20:18

Thanks Boodles.
I have been too busy this weekend so far to think too much about Tuesday, but I am glad it's coming up soon because I can hardly sleep I am so miserable. Even with all of the distraction of harvesting and putting up our garden, I have been so uncomfortable. I am ready to be done! 3 more days!
I am stocked up on pudding and jello and ready to go.
Deleted User 1755

Postby Strangeworldaf » 18 Aug 2012, 20:27

Tight....glad you are keeping yourself busy...i was too lazy to do anything and thinking about the surgery... guess i need to focus my mind on something else...three more night to go...what stool softener are you taking now and do you intend to keep it same after the surgery?
Strangeworldaf
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby fisure_35 » 19 Aug 2012, 07:20

This is my17th day. First 1 week you feel like man did I make a mistake, but after that it will get lot better. But the key is taking care yourself, I see in the forum everybody taking care beyond need, so I guess it is natural instinct.
fisure_35
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Deleted User 1755 » 19 Aug 2012, 22:02

Strangeworldaf wrote:Tight....glad you are keeping yourself busy...i was too lazy to do anything and thinking about the surgery... guess i need to focus my mind on something else...three more night to go...what stool softener are you taking now and do you intend to keep it same after the surgery?

I have been taking a generic stool softener (without stimulant), and today I took some Miralax hoping to be cleared out before Tuesday. Usually I don't need to take anything, but I will continue it until things are healed. Tomorrow I don't plan to eat anything solid. Pudding and jello will be my exciting diet. I really want to avoid a BM for the first couple days after the surgery.
Deleted User 1755

Postby Deleted User 1755 » 20 Aug 2012, 13:45

Tomorrow is the day. I am a little nervous, but not too bad. I am just starting to stress about everything I wanted to have ready that isn't but oh well.
I hope tomorrow goes smoothly. I am not very impressed with the hospital so far. They have been trying to bully me into paying a "deposit" of a fixed amount before surgery. I suspected that what we will owe after insurance is less than this deposit, so I have been trying to get a straight answer about whether we can just pay a copayment and get a bill after the surgery, which has always been standard.
I put off the lady I spoke to last week. Today, the lady tried again to squeeze the money out of me and I asked if I could pay the copay only and get a bill, which she would not answer. She kept saying I could pay today or tomorrow. When I asked what would happen of the amount owed were less than this deposit she said I would be reimbursed (promptly, I'm sure). But she said I will definitely owe more than the deposit. Then she looked up the cost of the procedure and lo and behold, she was wrong and I would have over paid. With about ten minutes of banter I finally got her to admit that this deposit is not required and I can choose to be billed later. Oh my word! I was so annoyed with this woman.
The whole reason I drove there today was because my paperwork said I needed to be checked by a nurse prior to the surgery day because of my hypothyroidism, to see if I am fit for surgery. Well, apparently the paperwork was wrong so after driving out of my way with my six year old in tow, waiting in a crowd of people, finally being seen by this woman who wanted nothing but money, I was told that I didn't actually need to come and a nurse would call me later.
I trust the surgeon but good grief, I am peeved at the disorganization of the hospital and wondering if I should really trust these people with my backside!
Deleted User 1755

Postby Strangeworldaf » 20 Aug 2012, 13:59

Tight.... Even I got a call from the surgery center and asked me to pay estimated cost....doctors fee is different though... They bill after surgery. Good luck for tomorrow
Strangeworldaf
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 20 Aug 2012, 15:28

Tightarse:
Good luck tomorrow! If your surgery is anything like my surgery, it will be a breeze! You will wonder why you waited so long . . . keep us updated.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist