T minus 7 days to LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: T minus 7 days to LIS

Postby Strangeworldaf » 26 Aug 2012, 11:27

Well with fissure I proudly say I have a million dollar ass :) ... I suggest you relax and let go few days without over doing work cause it may put you behind with your surgery. I am sure next few days you will feel better.
I have a little bit of pain but I am not taking any pain killers past two days. It's feel sore down there and little bit of irritation.
Hope you feel better soon.
Strangeworldaf
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby MattMecham » 26 Aug 2012, 17:31

I had LIS about a year and a half ago. The pain I felt the first day after surgery was more like a bruised tailbone, and that went away after a few days. I stopped using heavy painkillers the morning after my surgery -- Tylenol seemed to work just fine, and stopped taking that several days later. I felt no pain at all from my fissure upon waking up from surgery, and have felt no pain from it since. My diet has fluctuated over the past 18 months, I've even been constipated a couple of times, and have had zero fissure-type complications because of it. It's good to incorporate a regular amount of fiber into your daily diet, but if your experience is anything like mine, you do not have to be . . . well, "anal" about it. Incontinence never became an issue, other than having to do just a little extra wiping a time or two throughout the day, but that has cleared up. I'm happy for you! Here's to a wonderful, pain-free life!
Semper Fi,

Matt
MattMecham
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Strangeworldaf » 27 Aug 2012, 06:26

How are feeling today?
Strangeworldaf
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Deleted User 1755 » 27 Aug 2012, 23:02

Today was much, much better. As long as I stay in a reclining position things have been pretty darn good. When I am on my feet for very long or sit upright things get really sore, really fast. I still definitely have swelling, but I feel like I am turning a corner for sure. I am just taking my colace and Aleve as needed. Still have bleeding and pink drainage from the incision, but it hasn't been as bothersome and irritating today.
How are things going for you?
Deleted User 1755

Postby Strangeworldaf » 30 Aug 2012, 12:07

Sorry for the late reply, i am feeling pretty much, little discomfort on sitting and standing but improving everyday. Little bit of burning and uneasy feeling after BM's. Incision site seems itchy at times.
How are you symptoms? Hope you are getting better with bleeding and drainage.
Strangeworldaf
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Deleted User 1755 » 31 Aug 2012, 18:47

Drainage is still there, but I think it's less. I had a couple great days, but the last two have been pretty bad. The swelling is getting a lot better, but the skin is just so irritated. I am not sure what to do about it. My follow up appointment is Wednesday so I will ask about it then. I am starting to wonder if I have something else hormonal happening that is contributing to the skin irritation, but it's hard to sort out what's what. I have to take something to sleep every night and the stinging and burning wake me up anyway. I'm trying to be patient, but I am really tired of being in pain and or discomfort and I am tired so that's not helping on the patience front. I am a bit disheartened, but hoping for the best.
Deleted User 1755

Postby MattMecham » 31 Aug 2012, 21:36

Tight, I hate how much you are hurting. I feel a little guilty for not having gone through such a rough recovery myself, and sort of crowing about it. I didn't realize how miserable your post-op situation is -- sounds about as bad as having the fissure itself. I sure hope you get feeling better.
Semper Fi,

Matt
MattMecham
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Strangeworldaf » 01 Sep 2012, 20:35

Tight, here what i would... Stop aleeve or Advil and just take telynol as Advil and aleeve might cause more drainage and bleeding. Itchiness is a sign of healing so you are good there. Do some short walking and try to relax you mind and muscles... Feel you pelvic muscles and relax it....I am very positive you are very near to your full recovery...be positive... Keep us posted and I too have my appointment on Wednesday so good luck you and me :-)
Strangeworldaf
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Deleted User 1755 » 06 Sep 2012, 16:18

The doctor's visit went well. He thinks things are healing nicely and I should feel a lot better within a week or so. Things are definitely improving for me. The drainage is significantly less and the skin irritation is healing because of that and with the help of some hydrocortisone cream. I am feeling a lot more positive about things now.
Now that I have had time to let the swelling go down, I am seeing what the long term effects could be. Things are definitely looser. I do not have any incontinence, but my sphincter is definitely not iron clad as it once was. Gas will occasionally sneak up on me, though I wouldn't necessarily call it gas incontinence. That could potentially get embarrassing, so I am hoping that isn't permanent. But if it is, I would still choose the surgery. The fissure is finally healing. It's worth it, definitely.
Deleted User 1755

Postby Strangeworldaf » 06 Sep 2012, 21:43

Did he gave you any suggestions on diet or anything?
Strangeworldaf
Proctosphincteranalogist