Several Fissures

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Several Fissures

Postby Peggy Joan » 24 Aug 2012, 12:32

Hello,
I am brand new and already love this site! I have had anal fissures in the past but never this painful. I checked myself and discovered three very small fissures. I would like to know if it is unusual to have several? Everything I read about this is scary, but it makes sense to have more than one! My symptoms, other than seeing them, are strong pain before and during a bm.
Blessings
Peggy Joan
Peggy Joan
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Several Fissures

Postby Ever the Optimist » 27 Aug 2012, 03:23

Hi Peggy,
Welcome to the site Image
Sorry you have to be here but it's a great place to be with your anal issues. Everyone is so helpful here and there's some fantastic advice, tips and strategies for helping you through it all. Just have a good read through.
From what I've learned, multiple fissures are also common, so you are definately not alone!
I had just the one internal plus absess plus fistula & piles, so anything goes really on this site!!
Have you been properly diagnosed by a CRS yet? I think that's the first step you must take if you haven't done so already just to confirm that that is exactly what's going on and then you can act accordingly.
Try not to be too scared by it all - Fissures are generally nothing more than literally a pain in the a**e!! but rarely serious and more a frustrating and uncomfortable nuisance.
Having had them before, I'm sure you know the need to keep your BM's soft through eating properly and drinking loads of water, using a stool softener and hot soaks! but do get them checked out by a qualified CRS just to ensure that's what you are dealing with. The fact you don't mention the lingering after BM pain is good because that's when they tend to be really bad and painful and really require some form of treatment to help them heal....
Good luck with it all and do get that opinion from a CRS soon......
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Peggy Joan » 27 Aug 2012, 05:48

Hi Ever the Optimist,
Thanks so much! And yes, I do have pain for hours after bm. I must confess that (ashamed of this) that I had to hold in a bm for a long time while waiting to get home, then the trouble began. I began 'checking' my rectum with my finger and proceeded to do many times that day because I had tiny bit of blood. I am an intelligent woman who sometimes loses it when I have irrational fear about my health. I knew I would find a tumor (didn't). I had a colonoscopy 2 years ago and was fine.
Do you think (she asked embarrassingly) that I created these fissures? I am prone to them anyway! There, I said it and somehow I think it's okay here. I can't tell anyone else :(.
SO, a week later they are still sore--could this be exacerbated by stress??
Oh, I can't get into my CRS for weeks, but my hope is that I will have healing.
I thank you so much for your advice, and I plan to follow it!
You are a dear!
Peggy Joan
Fibre Addict

Postby Savaici » 27 Aug 2012, 10:14

Image Welcome! As E.T.O. said, you have found the right place...and believe me, nothing is too embarrassing to share with us. I am self-dilating! That should be the ultimate in 'embarrassing', but I do not in the least feel that.
Firstly, you did not create the fissure; they just happen. What can get them going, however, is 'holding on to get home' though my hubby does that all the time and has no problem! They can be exacerbated by stress, and it is very important to learn how not to stress. I have the ease to to say that, as I am a homebody, but I still can stress. I am learning to relax my internal sphincter, the one that is supposed to be involuntary, but it is working. I just relax, and talk to myself about it! Image
Do take the time to read what is here, and do a search on the forum for what you cannot find, or ask any questions you have.
By the way, there is nothing wrong with checking your rectum, but do you mean checking inside, or just your anus? I gently massage the outside of my A with a bit of petroleum jelly (of everything I have tried, this has proved the lasting one), and find that relaxes the muscle too. Took ages for me to even 'touch' down there...so silly.
Anyway, glad to found us! Image
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Peggy Joan » 27 Aug 2012, 11:30

Savaci,
thanks so much--you have brought me immense relief! I have talked to no one about this, and as many of you say, it so helps to know we have a community!
I have read that people plagued with fissures often have a tight sphincter which doesn't relax, thus decreasing bloodflow, which makes everything difficult to heal.
I use a mirror, and gently pull my anus apart. It helps me to see a bit inside, thus exposing the fissures.
I will try the massage--I truly believe that tightening up this muscle only makes everything worse.
Oh, my fissures are lateral (on side) which I read is not a good thing. AND, i have four of them which is also bad. However, I believe that there are exceptions and these things don't always go 'by the rules'. In fact, I've learned that from many here.
One more things--is it possible to have fissures for weeks??
Blessings,
Peggy
Peggy Joan
Fibre Addict

Postby Peggy Joan » 27 Aug 2012, 11:36

My apologies, Savaici, for misspelling your name :(
Peggy Joan
Fibre Addict

Postby Ever the Optimist » 27 Aug 2012, 14:50

Hi Peggy, :)
I completely agree with Savaici in that I don't think anyone generally creates a fissure by gently prodding them. I don't think it helps however! and could possibly aggravate the area a bit. I was advised that a fissure generally comes from straining/ passing a very hard stool and something in the stool that can actually scrape or "tear" the lining...
Unfortunately, it can go on for weeks until the situation becomes chronic, which is why you need to go and see a GP in the meantime. If you have weeks to wait until you see your CRS, it might be a worth asking your GP for an opinion and based on your symptoms, they might suggest you try Rectogesic/ Nifridine (?) Dilitazem in the UK, which assists in relaxing that sphincter muscle, which in turn, promotes healing of the fissure(s).
In the meantime also research all the great advice on this site!...Fibre with lots of water/ hot soaks in the tub/ stool softeners - the same golden rules all us fellow sufferers follow on this site!!
I am certain stress played a major role in bringing ON my fissure and stress management is really beneficial in controlling general levels of anxiety about the whole anal issue also. I really freaked out about everything and it made me physically and mentally tense when I needed to use the toilet and so on...bit of a vicious circle.
The calmer you are and the more you can laugh and try to see a funny side, the easier the whole thing is to deal with.
Hoping this will all pass for you soon but please don't just wait for the CRS, do think about seeing a GP in the meantime to discuss your symptoms. They may be able to prescribe something that will help you on your way to recovery Image
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Postby Peggy Joan » 27 Aug 2012, 16:32

Hi Ever,
Thanks so much for the sage advice! I am already soaking, eating more fiber, and drinking lots of water.
I have had these fissures 8 days and have had them years ago. As a result I am the proud owner of a sentinel pile. I plan to see if there is any improvement in a week--if not I will call my GP.
My shameful confession that I can only share here: I lay awake all night thinking I have anal cancer. A woman's chances of that are .00002% in the US. I need to get a grip, stop these irrational fears, and follow your advice to control anxiety and even find humor in this. I love that, and I am certainly capable of doing this! I already feel better :). I agree, stress impedes healing and tightens up the ol' bum (ouch).
Oh, is it that unusual that it could take weeks to heal these? Every time I have a bm I feel the fissures open a little more.
Blessings
Peggy Joan
Fibre Addict

Postby Ever the Optimist » 30 Aug 2012, 13:01

Hi Peggy,
For some people it can take months to heal (Sorry! - but true) and in some cases, there is no alternative but surgery BUT 8 days in is still early days and you still have every chance of full recovery. Just act quickly and start taking all the preventative measures of nipping it all in the bud and promoting your chances of speedier healing. This is why I would get to my GP asap to get some reassurance & assistance with the healing process....Hopefully by now, you may be feeling better??
Anal cancer is so rare, I really wouldn't worry about it to an extreme. Anal fissures/ piles etc. on the otherhand, are so incredibly common! It's so easy to worry yourself stupid. I know - I was terrible! I got so wound up by the whole thing that I ended back on anti-depressants ( I am mildly prone to depression and a bit OCD) so the "happy pills" have helped me get through it all mentally in a major way! I'm in no way suggesting that you need to do this yourself - just showing you how badly I was also affected it by it all too.
Once I calmed down and "grounded" myself again, everything was so much easier to deal with, I truly started joking about it all and feeling so much more positive and I think this had an impact on my physical healing too.
I managed to heal my fissure in about 4 months....Hopefully, it won't take you as long!
All the very best. Hope it's sorted soon :)
Ever the Optimist

Postby Peggy Joan » 30 Aug 2012, 15:06

Hi Ever,
Thanks for your encouragement and for a big dose of reality!
Actually, I am feeling better. I have much less of a sharp pain during bm's, and the pain lasts for a shorter time. I am assuming :) I am healing.
Yeah, that crazy thinking is exhausting, not to mention so time consuming. I agree, when I take a step back and detach, I am able to be reasonable and even find humor in this situation.
I am so happy your fissure healed. yay! Life is good.
thanks again,
Peggy
Peggy Joan
Fibre Addict