After 6+ years, glad to find people who understand

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

After 6+ years, glad to find people who understand

Postby MonkeyButt » 27 Aug 2012, 13:52

Hi, I don't remember when the fissure actually occurred but after college graduation I started to have a bunch of bowel problems and was eventually diagnosed with IBS. I've had four colonoscopies, and some upper GI exam too. Part of me wonders if the colon exams caused the fissure or if it was the #3 bowel movements/constipation. Well anyway it's been 17 years since all of that started. I had my first colonoscopy at age 27.
I struggled for years with gas, bloating and the bowel movement issues. Then about 5 years ago after the most recent colon exam, I realized I felt better on the diet I was on afterward. So I quit eating meat and dairy (most of the time) and eat now primarily a vegetarian diet. I've been trying to get my dietician and doc to listen to me about the calcium... seems when I have the required amount, the bowels shut down and I get constipated. So, I have that issue. For the most part, gas is only occasional now and I can't figure out why it comes when it does. At any rate, I believe all of that is why I have this stupid fissure.
I'm guessing it might be 6 years or so now that I've had this. All the classic symptoms you report. I go through good and bad times, rejoicing the easy BMs. For the past few weeks again, the BMs have been screamers... and then now, the soreness afterward. Sometimes a pinch here or there, some burning maybe. I use A&D with every BM and I was digging around in my closet today and found some Neosporin and saw it said pain relief and wondered if I could put some of that in there, so I googled it and found you all here. My doc wants to make me a compound suppository, but I don't like putting stuff there. I'd rather dab in some cream. I was asking her for nitro cream... does that work? Do you get a headache? I want to heal this and get better so I can live normally but I was asking her for the nitro for what I think is a related problem. Somewhat predictably, somewhat unpredictably, I experience a sort of spasm in the anal area, inside. Sometimes it'll start in the anus and move up the intestines, sometimes it'll start up and move down. Most of the time it starts small and builds, and I run around looking for Aleve to shorten the duration. The last one I had, I tried massage, I tried rocking on a foam roller since I suspect it's the involuntary muscle doing this, I tried putting cream in there with a q tip and then tried meditating which lately has been the only thing that works (calming my body, deep breathing and imagery, chanting) to soothe the pain. Instead, nothing worked and I took a nap. Was gone when I woke up. Usually, I cannot sleep or concentrate on anything through the spasm pain. I describe it like a charlie horse in the butt. Sound familiar? One gastro doc told me it was because the fissure exposed the muscle and so it spasms. Fine if that's the answer, but fix it then! Image
Husband doesn't understand and my gp doc struggles with what to do. I just want to die sometimes.
There's a lot of info here. Any idea on where I should start? I could spend all day reading and I can't. Will have to visit often to pick up what I can. I did already note avoid starches.... hmm. I don't eat meat but I do like popcorn, oatmeal, wheat bread and other things with fiber. Good or bad? At least for the next few days, I'll be on the liquid diet so the pain isn't so extreme during the flare up. And hope that all BMs are at home. I dread the public restroom BM when in pain... They'd send EMS in there if they heard me. :-(
MonkeyButt
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: After 6+ years, glad to find people who understand

Postby Savaici » 28 Aug 2012, 10:09

Welcome! Sorry that you are in pain, but you've at least landed in the right place as we have all been there/are there. 
As you said you don't have the time to read through everything (who does  Image as there is a lot) you could start by looking through the recent Web Sites bit to see what specifically refers to you. Then choose what you want to read about
You could also use the search facility on the right side at the top. As an example, I will give you what I have searched in the past; soluble fiber; anal dilation; anal fissure; incontinence; spasm; GTN; Rectogesic (that is what nitro is called in UK); Diltiazem; Movicol (the name in the UK for Miralax in the US); CRS; popcorn and so on. For yourself you might choose popcorn...not good, most say, when you have fissures. There is a good link to the Mayo Clinic and recent info about fiber from this year. 
We all go through the desperation phase where we don't see light at the end of the darn tunnel, but people do come right, get better and never darken the door of the Anal Fissure Support Forum again. So, it can get better!
Another idea is to go to the member list, look through who has been here recently, click on the name of those with a lot of posts, then once you access the name, on posts that they have started. You can get a lot of good information from the 'oldies' here. 
Thinking of you.  Image
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222