I suspect seeds are the culprit.

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

I suspect seeds are the culprit.

Postby Goma » 04 Aug 2012, 14:36

After another two months or so of being completely pain free, I tore again last week and have been having problems ever since. The last couple times I've torn it's been after a harder bowl movement that usually doesn't feel smooth because it has some type of seeds in it. I mentioned this to my doctor the first time, but he didn't think there was a correlation. However, the first time it was whole cumin seeds in a tomato sauce I'd made. I could feel them scraping against the area where I'd had the problem. This time I had made the mistake of eating a lot of eggplant with a lot of seeds and I felt one of them scrap and cut the area open again. I could feel the texture of the seeds when I went and saw them in the toilet bowl.
Has anyone else had a problem like this? I have now stopped eating things like blueberries, blackberries, and kiwi's because of the seeds. I'm also scared to death of anything made of cornmeal and have steered clear of that for almost a year. I feel so stupid for not having thought of the eggplant seeds. It occurred to me halfway through eating them but I thought it wouldn't be that big of a deal. I really regret it now though. Do you think this is just a coincidence too, or has anyone else experienced this problem as well?
Goma
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: I suspect seeds are the culprit.

Postby butthurt » 04 Aug 2012, 16:28

That is an interesting point. I don't think I have any problems with cornmeal-I eat a lot of corn tortillas. But I have noticed that if the bm is not like soft serve ice cream it is way more irritating. I made the mistake of eating some crunchy taquitos the other day and I know that was why my bm was not smooth and it made me bleed :( I have had blueberries and strawberries with no problems but I am afraid of things like raspberries. I also had eggplant with no problems but I cooked it into a sauce and it was very soft so that could be why.
butthurt
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby Firecracker Ass » 04 Aug 2012, 17:07

I avoid seeds whenever possible. I used to enjoy Uncle Sam cereal which contains lots of flax seeds. However, I don't go near it anymore for the same reason you mentioned. Seeds aren't digestible, so it's very possible they can cause a fissure. I remember reading about someone here who had a bad tear from a popcorn seed. I think large seeds should be avoided (like watermelon, popcorn, etc), but smaller ones (like Kiwi, strawberries, etc) would depend on the individual.
Firecracker Ass
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby Goma » 05 Aug 2012, 11:42

butthurt- Well I can eat Japanese eggplants (the small ones) no problem. However the bigger ones have those seeds. I haven't eaten corn tortillas at all because I am afraid. That's good that they don't cause you problems.
Firecracker Ass - I have stayed away from popcorn for almost a year now for fear of that happening. I guess you're right, the smaller ones probably depend on individual cases. My system seems to be so sensitive all of a sudden. A year ago I could eat anything! I don't get it!
Goma
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby MonkeyButt » 28 Aug 2012, 16:23

What about the soft white seeds in seedless watermelons? I eat about a half a watermelon a day, to help my stools stay soft and more watery.
MonkeyButt
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3