Still Recovering

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Still Recovering

Postby 8905c » 08 Sep 2012, 18:55

I am happy to find this forum to discuss rectal problems with others. I am a 59 yo male and have had rectal problems off & on for several years. I started out with external hemorrhoids, would treat them with OTC medications, recover, and then repeat the cycle in a few months. However, about last Christmas, I developed significant rectal pain with bleeding, and no external problems were apparent. Went to my family physician and tried some medications with no improvement. Went to a CRS and was in too much pain for him to examine me on the first visit. He prescribed medications and had me return in 2 weeks. At that appointment, my pain was a little less, but not much. My CRS attempted to examine me and I nearly went off of the end of the table. He then scheduled me for a colonoscopy to be done 2 days from the office appointment. Colonoscopy revealed 3 large internal hemorrhoids and a fissure. One hemorrhoid was about the size of a walnut. On my next office, my CRS discussed my treatment options. A decision was made to band the 3 hemorrhoids, on 3 separate visits, and to start me on medications to try to heal the fissure (nitro, etc.). I got through the banding of the 3 hemorrhoids. The fissure improved some, but did not completely heal and was still painful and bleeding at times. On 6/26/12, I had a LIS and fissure repair. Surgery wasn't bad, but recovery has been difficult. about 4 weeks post op, I developed a sentinel pile. On my last visit to my CRS, I mentioned the sentinel pile and the pain associated with it, but he didn't seem concerned. This thing is painful and I am worried that I am going to end up requiring surgery on it.
What have others experienced with sentinel piles? I have been dealing with significant rectal pain now for 10 months. I feel like I am never going to be normal on my backside again and it is really getting to me. I don't feel like doing anything but stay in bed.
Thanks for listening.
8905c
8905c

Topics: 2

Re: Still Recovering

Postby jr2 » 08 Sep 2012, 20:41

I'm so sorry to read about your ordeal. You've been through so many procedures you'd think you'd get to have your life back by now! I totally understand the feeling of just wanting to stay in bed.
Sentinel pile pain varies across individuals. Some people don't have any pain with them and others have a lot of irritation from them. I probably would give it some more time to settle down though following your surgery to see if it shrinks down and becomes less painful as you get further out from your surgery. How is the pain from the fissure and the surgery feeling?
Last edited by jr2 on 08 Sep 2012, 23:46, edited 1 time in total.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby 8905c » 08 Sep 2012, 22:52

Within the past week, the pain from the fissure and surgery has improved greatly. In fact, about the only pain I have now is from the sentinel pile. I am using a cream with Aloe in it, which helps as much as anything I have tried. Desitin helps some also. I am just hoping this thing resolves itself without any major intervention.
8905c
8905c

Topics: 2

Postby jr2 » 08 Sep 2012, 23:48

yeah, I was going to suggest some kind of barrier cream like Desitin to see if it might help some. Hopefully now that the postsurgical pain is easing you will also start to see improvement in the sentinel pain.
Keep us posted on how you're doing.
jr2

Topics: 15