Not sure if this is the best place to post this...

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Not sure if this is the best place to post this...

Postby Guest » 15 Sep 2012, 12:42

I could really use some advice, I have had my Fissure for 2 years now and have now had 2 lots of Botox injections which seem to have failed, I saw my consultant a couple of weeks ago and at the time every bm was causing extreme pain and serious blood loss, I was wondering around with sanitary towels in the bottom area of my knickers to catch the blood...since seeing him it all seems alot better but at the appointment after me explaining the symptoms he decided I needed a Flexible Sigmoidoscopy as after 2 lots of Botox and 2 years he believes it should be better.
Anyway the letter finally came from the hospital today, a copy of the letter he sent to my GP stating that the Botox had given no relief at all to my symptoms of bleeding which is most unusual is what hes written, then hes gone on to say if theres no other Pathology from the Flexible Sigmoidoscopy then we need to consider an Anal Sphincterotomy.
Has anyone had similar experiences and also is Anal Spincterotomy LIS or something else? I'm a bit confused about it all.
Thank you

Re: Not sure if this is the best place to post this...

Postby Bumpkin » 15 Sep 2012, 18:10

Hello,
LIS is Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy...which is basically where they make a cut in the anal sphincter muscle in order to reduce the pressure and thereby promote healing of the fissure.
A sigmoidoscopy is where they use a scope to examine the large intestine through the rectum. I assume they want to do this to rule out other potential causes for your bleeding before recommending LIS.
Does that make sense...or help in any way? Image
Last edited by Bumpkin on 15 Sep 2012, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: accidentally hit send too soon
Bumpkin
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Guest » 16 Sep 2012, 12:15

Thats great thanks, my consultant isn't very talkative, I'm told by many that hes very good but at what he does but hes rubbish at explaining and going through it all.
Thank you that is very kind of you to explain

Postby Bumpkin » 16 Sep 2012, 14:23

Well then this is the right place for you! Fortunately, I have an amazing CRS that explains everything...but like you said...there are doctors who are good at what they do but lack in communication skills. Make sure you ask lots of questions about anything you don't fully understand -- it's the doctor's job to explain your diagnosis and all your options for treating it. I always go in with a written list of questions. That may seem annoying to some drs, but I (we) deserve to be fully informed.
Bumpkin
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion