One month post recovery - very very very little drainage?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

One month post recovery - very very very little drainage?

Postby owieher » 22 Sep 2012, 03:43

I had my last visit w/ the CRS 2-3 weeks ago. He said, I didn't need to come in anymore. But I still have slight drainage in the area, and wear the guaze pack. I think the pack creates some irritation.
Anyhow, I have slight drainage, and I presume it's normal. I just didn't realize the body takes so long to heal. Granted, I haven't really had a good diet, as I smoke/drink. I know I know.
owieher
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Re: One month post recovery - very very very little drainage?

Postby Ever the Optimist » 23 Sep 2012, 04:12

Hey Owie,
Sounds like you are on course and doing great! Drainage is totally normal still and I think you'll find it all a lot easier to deal with and less irritating once that gauze comes off....I'm sure there's a few of us that drink and smoke through all of this...OK we know we shouldn't... but a vice or two can be mentally helpful in relieving some of the stress of the situation! It does take a long time for the area to heal properly. I'm still learning that too at nearly 3 months post-op but patience really is the key. I just take it week by week and I still have some moments of discomfort and odd twinging and sensations, but it is SO much better than it ever was! Keep up the good work. You're doing great :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby owieher » 24 Sep 2012, 11:46

It's been about 7 weeks, and the actual wound site has healed, but the other end still has draining. I'm not sure if this makes sense though.
Anyhow, at 2-3 months, what have you noticed?
Thanks.
owieher
Salt Bather

Postby Ever the Optimist » 25 Sep 2012, 14:36

At the 2 month stage, I was fed up because I was still experiencing discomfort and some slight pain with BM's. The fistula site had healed nicely to a small scar but it was all the internal stuff that was bothering me because internally it didn't feel healed (like I could still feel stuff and sensations etc.) I saw my CRS at 10 weeks and they confirmed total external healing but still wanted me back in for a further EUA to check everything had healed as it should. I've got that appointment Nov 7th. These days, I feel SO much better. I spend large parts of the day not even thinking/ feeling anything anymore but still have very mild discomfort with my first BM of the day. I also get bouts of very minor tightness and discomfort on & off but nothing that stresses me too much. Have no idea if this is normal or something minor underlying still....guess I'll get that confirmed in a few weeks...On the whole, feel 92% there, so week by week, things are definately improving!!
It seems totally normal you may still have some drainage and the wound site is healed. There are some older posts on here with Adam/ Dawn/ Summergal/ Hopetoheal, which are really helpful. Really suggest you search on "fistula" and read them. I'm certain they will really put your mind at rest :)
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Postby owieher » 27 Sep 2012, 22:06

I'm just concerned as to how long or when drainage should stop.
owieher
Salt Bather

Postby Ever the Optimist » 29 Sep 2012, 04:50

If the drainage is not smelly/ itchy/ pus like and not infected, it's still absolutely normal. You really should see your GP in the meantime if you have any concerns to put your mind at rest. Some of the older posters on here had good healing going on but with discharge up to 10 months (if I recall correctly) after their ops, but all confirmed as normal for fistula recovery. I'd love to hear from some of them too to see how they are these days, but their absence from the site now leads me only to think that they are now healed and just happy to move on and put the experience behind them. You really should see your GP as I feel you need some additional reassurance still :)
Ever the Optimist

Postby owieher » 05 Oct 2012, 17:32

What's weird is that the opening near the surface of the skin has healed, but it's the deeper trench that's not completely healed yet. I don't know what to make of it.
I would've thought that by now, I can do away w/ a guaze pack between my cheeks, but I leave one in there now just incase.
I am a bit weary, but I should have more confidence in my surgeon. BM have been better with each passing week, certainly a lot better after the initial 2 weeks.
I'm just wondering when my tissue will heal properly. For the record, I had a fistulectomy, as opposed to a fistulotomy.
Anybody can come back to chime in?
Thanks.
owieher
Salt Bather

Postby owieher » 10 Oct 2012, 19:47

So I made an appointment to get it looked at and will update.
This feels weird. If I'm told I have to live with it, I might as well ! I mean, I do not want to go through another operation like this.
owieher
Salt Bather

Postby owieher » 15 Oct 2012, 17:24

So I got back and the CRS put something on it, saying it'll burn the wound. He said it looks good, but that it just takes time.
Any body w/ something similar?
owieher
Salt Bather