Scared, Need Help Pls

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Scared, Need Help Pls

Postby amscared » 12 Sep 2012, 23:20

Hi, I am a 21 year old male and for the past year or so I have had visible blood on the toilet paper almost every time I have a BM and rarely there is some in the toilet.
About 7 months ago I had begun to leak pus out of my anus which has had a horrible smell. I had no idea it was the sign of an infection and was able to manage it by taking baths and returning to the bathroom to wipe often.
I have pretty bad anxiety so I really avoided telling anyone about my problem and never visited a doctor. I thought, at the time, it was just a fissure and it would eventually heal on its own.
I did a bit more research recently and came to the conclusion that what I had was a fistula with an abscess and that the only way to really heal one is through surgery. So I finally went to the doctor 2 days ago and and he confirmed that it was indeed a fistula. I will need to have surgery and he prescribed me antibiotics. He said that the abscess looked drained so he did not attempt to drain it there and then.
So, in a week or two I should be having surgery but in the meantime I am very paranoid. I began reading online about the life threatening "sepsis" that could result from an infection. I am very scared about this as I am currently leaking a lot of foul-smelling pus from my anus.
What should I do? Should I go to the ER or will the antibiotics suffice? Will taking a lot of baths help reduce the risk of sepsis (even if I have been leaking for 7 months)? Should I be worried about a septic infection?
Thanks.
amscared

Topics: 1

Re: Scared, Need Help Pls

Postby ZeeZee » 13 Sep 2012, 06:48

Hey, don't be scared, my situation was very similar to yours.. I did have pus BUT I had blood too.. I had surgery to remove the Fistula and I'm recovering now! Try to stay calm, take out the course of AB prescribed and thnk positive thoughts only! =) I'm proof tht you're making the right decision, so is ETO and Suzy, they are more experienced thn I am but my advice, don't worry! We are here for you!
ZeeZee
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Ever the Optimist » 13 Sep 2012, 13:26

Hi,
Sorry you are feeling so scared about everything - but just to reassure that things really will be OK and you will be sorted very soon.....
It's great you finally got to a GP to sort it out and now you are on your way to healing.
The foul smelling horrible discharge is completely normal for infected fistula drainage. I read an account of someone with the same issue and was paranoid because she was convinced other people could smell it too. Also most Medical websites will cite foul smelling discharge/ pus, along with itching, soreness, pain and fever/ feeling "under the weather" as classic fistula symptoms. I really wouldn't panic at all.
I'm certain your GP would have picked up on an infection and prescribing the anti-biotics is the next step just "in case" there is infection present. It's a precautionary measure and would sort anything out lurking around!
A "Septic" infection is not common, comes on quickly with some pretty severe side effects, so I truly doubt that you have this. I've not read anything on this site with anyone suffering this issue. I'm sure you will be absolutely fine!! Just try to be as calm as you can be about the whole thing and not to panic....It's too easy to let the fear take over with these horrible things and fear the worst. Just tell yourself "It's not as bad as I think!" over & over again. It helps!
Hang in there. It will all be over in two weeks and you will be able to start getting back to normal again.
We're all here in the meantime :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby amscared » 29 Sep 2012, 20:27

Hi, thanks for your comforting replies.
I thought I'd post an update because it has been a few weeks and I have more concerns...
So it's been about 2 weeks since I initially saw the doctor and I have since been back twice to prepare for surgery but I haven't been told of a date of when the surgery would actually take place yet.
I have depleted my antibiotics prescription and they have helped a lot. For the first time in months the pus that leaked had stopped smelling horrible which told me that the infection must be clearing up. Also, there has been a lot less blood when passing stools and sometimes none at all.
Unfortunately, after I ran out of antibiotics, the foul smell somewhat returned but I am leaking a lot less so it's hard to tell. In the past few days, I also have noticed a slight, dull pain sometimes in the area of the fistula when sitting or moving around. This is the first time I've really had any pain associated with my fistula.
I wish I could feel happy about my progress with less blood and leakage but my anxiety gets the best of me.
I am scared that the wound has healed on the outside (which has caused leakage and blood to stop) but behind the wound is an infected abscess. The dull pain, as I described above, is a common symptom of an abscess like this. Because of this, I am still scared about a septic infection since the pus now has nowhere to go except build up.
Another fearful thought that is in the back of my mind (which might sound dumb but I thought i'd post it anyways) is that since I have not had any pain associated with my fistula in the 8+ months that I've had it, maybe I am a bit insensitive to pain in that area. Now that I am feeling slight pain for the first time, a normal pain-sensitive person might be in excruciating pain with my circumstances and my fistula/abscess is more severe than it feels.
Anyways... I hope I'm overreacting as I tend to do and you can tell me that my anxiety-fueled fears are irrational...
amscared

Topics: 1