My year journey

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

My year journey

Postby Em » 30 Sep 2012, 16:38

I had fistula surgery about 15 months ago - I also has a fissure which he scraped.
I then was ok until Sept when I had a lot of bleeding - I was away from home (Australia) and in the UK at the time so it was stressful. I had another colonoscopy and he dilated my anus (he didn't tell me he was going to do this).
Anyway, my bottom has been loads better - I did have a bit of bleeding about 3 months ago but it seemed to heal quickly (it usually gets worse around the time of my period). However, I still have to apply licodaine and nifedipine ointment every day or I get bad itching.
It is expensive in Australia and I also would rather not apply a chemical every day for the rest of my life (I'm only 43). I am trying organic coconut oil and so far it seems to be doing the trick.
I really feel for people on here as I never really had the bad spasms and hideous pain - more like annoying twinges and then itching.
Em
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Re: My year journey

Postby ZeeZee » 30 Sep 2012, 16:43

Hey Em! Excellent news!
I'm happy to hear tht you're way improved..
Can I ask abt the Fistula surgery?!
How long did it take to heal and stuff?!
Any info would be appreciated..
ZeeZee
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Re: My year journey

Postby Em » 30 Sep 2012, 20:56

Hi,
The fistula surgery went well - I was knocked about for a week after it because of the AB's I was on. My bottom healed well - the packing fell out the same night when I had a BM - no problem.
I was fully recovered after 2 weeks (I then had a big trip to the US - long service leave - so was happy I was ok).
When I had to see him 3 months later, the surgeon said my anus was very tight which was why I was having trouble healing. He also thought I had crohns as my anus lining was very mottled. n Those tests came back negative which was a relief.
Anyway, him doing the dilation was excellent (no incontinence thank goodness) and seems to be a help when I had bleeding a while ago as it didn't last long.
I am wheat intolerant and get a very sore stomach if I eat it and I have been having things like slippery elm to strengthen my bowel lining.
I am hoping thr cocount oil works so well that I don't need to get the prescription cream as I am really into natural health and to avoid chemicals where possible.
Em
Salt Bather

Topics: 5