Side effects since BOTOX - walking, standing

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Side effects since BOTOX - walking, standing

Postby lookingforhelp » 16 Aug 2012, 10:17

Hi, I have suffered from an anal fissure for a couple of years. After trying creams, diet changes, etc I finally had Botox 14 weeks ago. And I'm actually worse since then. Since the injection I have had difficulty walking, standing and even sitting upright on a hard chair. I also have had pain into my left thigh at the same time. On a bad day I can't stand even for five minutes. I have relief from the pain as soon as I lie down. CRS recommended second Botox injection two weeks after the first, and I had it. I think it has helped the original anal fissure symptoms a little but am still no better as regards walking, etc. Wondering if anyone has had the same "complications". Don't want to put anyone off Botox as I've now spoken to three CRS's and none of them has heard of these side effects before. Basically they appear to be just waiting to see if I get better. But I'd be very grateful indeed if anyone has heard of this and can offer me any advice or reassurance, to even share the experience. Many thanks.
lookingforhelp

Topics: 2

Re: Side effects since BOTOX - walking, standing

Postby Savaici » 16 Aug 2012, 10:52

You don't have to worry about putting anyone off Botox; most do not like it, including me Image . Personally, if I was having side effects I might put it down to some damage to the nerves during the application, though not being a doctor, I cannot say if that is so.
As nobody replied to your previous post, I will post here the information concerning Botox that Davo received from his CRS in London, before he was totally healed by his LIS surgery. You also might do a search on 'botox side effect' on here. I came up with 168 posts.
This is the information, from a CRS at the very top of his field. Also posted the link to his post underneath, so you can read all that his surgeon had to say.
'BOTOX - The difference between GTN and Botox is that GTN wears off during the day in between applications whereas Botox keeps the sphincter constantly paralyzed. My CRS has just returned from a conference in Florida and the majority of CRS's agreed that Botox injections are no more effective than GTN - My CRS said if it was him he would not even consider having Botox as patients can suffer gas incontinence, they can get infection/pain from the injection site and the few who do heal generally return after the Botox has worn off. He personally thinks that the Botox procedure will no longer be used in a few years time as GTN just does exactly the same job - he only recommends it if you find it difficult to apply GTN or if you are forgetful about applying it each time'.
http://anal-fissure.org/t4464-lis-botox-gtn-info-advice-from-my-crs?highlight=botox+side+effect
All the best, and very sorry that you are suffering this.
Sav Image
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby UK fissure chick » 16 Aug 2012, 14:46

Hi Looking for help
I too agree with Sav, I have exactly the same problems as you I cannot walk for more than 10 mins without swelling up, cannot sit long, have been on a pile cushion since march and pain in the right of my bum cheek, plus a lump that likes to come out and say hi throughout the day.
I agree with Savi, I think botox has side affects and these might not always be explained by the consultants. My botox was done in Feb and I am worse now than ever. I have just been referred to a pelvic floor clinic so will let you know how I get on and if it helps.
Again I am unsure why consultants and surgeons are using botox if they believe GTN is equally as good?
I would definately ask your consultant if the pain is linked to pelvic floor problems.
I have started to find out you are not alone and have friends on here :)
Take care and keep me posted Image
UK fissure chick
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby lookingforhelp » 17 Aug 2012, 05:26

Hi,
Davo & Uk Fissure Chick, thanks so much for responding. As others are always saying on this site, it is great to know you're not alone. I really appreciate the time you took to post.
Davo, I agree that GTN and Botox don't get great reviews overall on this site. If my fissure symptoms continue I would intend to get the LIS. At the moment, the last CRS who examined me under GA, four weeks after my second dose of Botox, said I was too loose down there to attempt to do the LIS until the botox had worn off. My fissure symptoms have been better in the last couple of weeks, with easier BMs and overall less pain during the day.
UK Fissure Chick, sorry to hear you've been having such trouble too. I don't have the noticeable swelling that you're talking about, unless its internal. It does feel like a swelling,sharp pulling, or pressure inside though. I had two occasions after the first botox where I had an external swelling that was extremely painful after a BM, but that hasn't recurred. Is the swelling that you suffer outside and does it start to occur when you walk around or stay on your feet?
Were these "new" symptoms that you suffered immediately after the btox injection, and have you noticed any improvement in your symptoms since February?
I find walking, standing, sitting upright all easier if I havent yet had a BM that day. After it, even though I can be virtually painfree whilst lying down it gts sore if I stand for maybe 5-10 minutes. Do you find the same?
I also have this burning pain in my left thigh, again brought on by walking wtc. Have you ever had that?
I've had MRI scans of my pelvis and lower back which both showed nothing. I've had nerve conduction studies on my leg which were also clear.
I am interested in the idea of Pelvic Floor Disfunction, though this seems to affect women more than men and doesnt seem to be localised as much in the "back passage". I would be worried that doing stretching exercises might reopen the fissure or prevent it healing? Would be very grateful indeed if you could point me in the direction of any sources of info or contact that you have discovered.
On a more positive note, I have found changes in diet have helped, lots of fish and vegetables, and cutting out red meat and bread. Acupuncture has helped me relax, and the regular baths are good too.
Sorry this is such a long post with more questions. I am of course happy to answer any you may have. Thanks again.
lookingforhelp

Postby UK fissure chick » 19 Aug 2012, 17:04

Hi Looking for help
Glad that the acupuncture and diet are helping :)
Since my last post I have now found that I have a rectocele which is where a part of the bowel wall is prolapsed and can pop out when it fancies it. This is what the lump that keeps coming out is. It explains why I am in pain sitting and standing and as to why I thought I had hemmys.
The swelling is inside mainly but does feel on the outside at times. There is always a pain in my left bum cheek and both sitting and standing aggrivate it. I found my symptoms got worse after a month of botox, but to be honest I have suffered with fissures and hemmys for years so this could just be me and my quirky gut lol
From abit of research it looks like fissures and rectocele's/rectal prolapse are common to have together. You have to catch it early to correct it with pelvic floor exercises, the longer its left the worse it can get. But diet such as high fibre and no pushing when on the toilet are key issues. I will be looking at my diet more closely.
Its worth asking your doctor more info about it. I am now on some strong pain med and some numbing suppositries whilst waiting for my appointment at the pelvic floor clinic to come through. I will let you know how I get on if you want. If you have any Q's let me know :) Thanks for replying back, this website has been a life saver for me, and every post helps :)
Take care and thanks again Image
UK fissure chick
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby richibeno » 29 Sep 2012, 07:49

hi lookingforhelp how are you now .i am nearly 3 weeks post botox ,and have a pain that starts on the left of my sphincter /anus and goes out left and down my left buttock ,dont know if i have caused this by laying on my front room floor which is only carpet maybe compressing my anus or sphincter a bit ,also if i sit down hurts my behind to
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby lookingforhelp » 01 Oct 2012, 02:48

Richibeno,
I am delighted to say I am much better. I have never been able to find out what "went wrong" with my botox injection or why it made me so much worse. For 3 1/2 months after the injection I had little or no improvement, other than I was able to manage the pain by lying down all the time. But fairly rapidly, over the next three weeks I had a good deal of improvement. I still have good days and bad days, when after a BM I can't stand for more than ten minutes but I have my life back. I intend to post a longer messgae on this blog to give people a bit of hope but I think what happened me was the botox wore off, or at least is beginning to wear off. I am really sorry to hear your symptoms. They are a little different from mine, as standing was worst for me, hard seats not quite as bad but very difficult, and lying down by far the easiest. I never got any sort of explanation from anyone I saw I'm afraid, or any particular treatment. All I can say is hang on in there....if its the botox it will go away. Diet and rest worked better for me than anything else. And don't be afraid of painkillers. Have hope, and good luck
lookingforhelp

Postby richibeno » 01 Oct 2012, 03:08

Hi looking for help great to see you have improved'I'm still the same but l
Now have constant pain in my anus over sore seems to be swollen 'bms seem OK at times then my sphincter locks up or spazzes and feels so much presure i have to push out the bm,my Crs thinks its still early days only 3 weeks post botox etc'can't sit or lie on my bum
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28