THANK GOD I AM FINALLY HEALED- 3rd time was the charm!!!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

THANK GOD I AM FINALLY HEALED- 3rd time was the charm!!!

Postby pegzie » 17 Oct 2012, 15:52

I just wanted to come back because this forum really helped me get through my experience with AF, and I wanted to thank the person who runs this site, and add my two cents.
Last September, I got an anal fissure after a hard bowel movement. It was bloody and horribly painful. In fact I ended up in the ER 3 times that week because of the pain. I ended up on IV dilodid (sp?). Basically, synthetic morphine, a pretty strong drug. After that, I experience horrible constipation and had to manually remove my waste (not fun at all, really one of the worst experiences of my life).
I live in the US and didn't have insurance at the time. I tried changing my diet, using miralax, sitz baths, and even the nitroglycerin cream that the ER gave me. I have $8000 in medical bills from just that first week, so I couldn't go back to the doctor until I had insurance.(My doctors were very mad that I wouldn't go back in, but I wasn't about to ruin my life and finances when I thought there was a chance I would get better on my own).
Well, I didn't get any better, and finally got insurance in January. I went to a great gastro doctor, who specializes in AF, and she wanted me to have the 2 fissures I had cauterized right away. The next week I did.
The pain I experienced during recovery was almost as bad as that first week. The nitro cream, hot baths, and ibuprofen were my friend. I used ice packs to dull the pain too. It took about 2 weeks until they were healed (I went back to work 2 days later like my doctor said I could, but I shouldn't have- would recommend taking at least a week off work).
Went back to the doctor because I was still bleeding after bowel movements after those AF had healed. The doctor thought there might be more higher up in my rectum. I went in for a 2nd surgery, and she found 4 more fissures higher up and cauterized them too. Again, very painful for me.
A month or so later, I was still having irritation. I went back to the doctor, not bleeding anymore, and found out that the fissures and cauterization had left skin tags. I had 2 skin tags removed about a month ago. The pain wasn't even close to the other surgeries. I am all healed now!
I have been using Miralax now for quite a while. It helps cut the pain and gave me a chance to heal. I still use it if I am feeling like I might have some constipation so I just never have to worry about this again.
The surgeries were not fun, but I am SO VERY VERY GLAD that I had them. It wasn't easy, but I feel like my life is finally getting back to normal. I am healthy and happy and no longer in pain! I would recommend the cauterization to anyone if it can help! Good luck!
pegzie
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: THANK GOD I AM FINALLY HEALED- 3rd time was the charm!!!

Postby Ever the Optimist » 19 Oct 2012, 14:58

Hey Pegzie,
Just to say thanks for sharing your experience and your inspiration to others that no matter how bad it can all get, you CAN get through it all and come through it smiling and back to normal! You went through a LOT. Multiple fissures, cauterisation, skin tag removal.....that's a lot to have to go through! Great that you have recovered so well and may you live your life fissure-free & happily ever after!! :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby ring of fire » 26 Jan 2013, 13:10

Hi! So encouraging to read. Did you ever have LIS? Did your doc insist on a colonoscopy or test the muscle tone/tightness? I'm wondering if cauterization might work for me.
ring of fire
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby delasama » 26 Jan 2013, 13:27

wow! cuaterzing sounds lot better than lis. i will be sure to ask gi doc
delasama
King Fissure

Topics: 31

Postby AF Angel » 30 Jan 2013, 16:15

Hi pegzie,
What exactly is cauterization of a fissure ? I mean does it also involve cutting and a wound site just like in LIS ? or how is the experience of that ?
- AFA
AF Angel
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Another experience

Postby greatmo » 18 Jul 2013, 18:00

I'd like to explain about my experience hoping that it would help others.
It all started in august 2012, I remember having spicy food in a large quantity and it led to constipation, I had the wrong medecine and it made things worst, for a week I didn't go to the bathroom so I forced myself and I strained to poop which led to a fissure (blood in the stool and when wiping). at that time I didn't feel any pain or else, but the very next day it started to itch especially at night, doctors thought about worms (but it wasn't). itching became worst and I started to feel some pain as well.
I went to three different doctors, some of them examined the anus some did not, some said it's a fissure, other said hemorhoids..
week after week and things became even worst, pain during BM, pain after BM, itching after BM, I would find it hard to sit, hard to stand, hard to squat, I tried sitzbath, creams, changing diet etc and things continued like that until I started using Faktu ointment and suppository.
I started using them twice a day for 1 months and then stopped, itching came back but just after the BM so i went back to Faktu (but this time only when I would feel itchiness).
Thank god now all is fine, i think im 99% healed, I eat dried prunes before any meal to avoid constipation and after every BM I just feel some discomfort for few minutes and it vanishes, this discomfort is NOTHING compared to the hell I was living in for almost a year 20hours/24hours....
So my advice is avoid constipation, use Faktu ointment and suppository and beleive me u do not want to go through what I went in
greatmo