No more messing around going for LIS have some questions!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

No more messing around going for LIS have some questions!

Postby Lionheart » 09 Nov 2012, 17:21

Hello All
Well after being good for about 3 months i guess my CAF decided to to come back again and this time it hurts!
I saw my GP his advice was "deal with it and manege the pain", I talked to a CRS months ago his advice was same as my GP.
So I went to a different CRS this time, this one has been practicing for 26 years with good reputation he was in Detroit's "hour glass" magazine top docs of 2011. I talked to him for about 20 mins explained my situation and his answer was " well you been on a good diet and on Nitro for months now and you have had this since March I don't favor botox you need to get surgery" Since I don't have insurance he offered to do it in his clinic where he and 4 other CRS's work.
After talking to his billing lady here are my options.
1: Get the surgery done in a well known hospital in the local area where this CRS serves as the Program Director for the Colon and Rectal Surgery Residency at the hospital. COST $4k 5K
2: Get it done at his clinic for a total cost of only $ 350 !!!!
He explained if I decide to get it done at the clinic I would be given Valium and local anesthetic not general anesthesia
I have an appointment with a different CRS on Monday seeking a 3rd opinion !
Any advice ?
Thanks
Any advice ?
Lionheart
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: No more messing around going for LIS have some questions!

Postby jr2 » 10 Nov 2012, 12:57

Hi Lionheart,
. You say you are scheduled for a third opinion, so you'll probably want to wait and see what that doctor says.
If you do decide to go with the second opinion and have the surgery it's a tough call. Only you can decide whether you have the finances available for the hospital procedure, and also whether the stress of being awake for the procedure will be ok for you to tolerate, even with Valium.
If you're seeing a CRS in a clinic setting, he could alternatively give you the cocktail of meds they give for a colonoscopy, plus the local anesthetic. Since he is a CRS, he must be performing colonoscopies, and those are usually, though not always, performed in clinics rather than hospitals, and don't require the services of an anesthesiologist, with a combination of the medications Demerol and Versed. This combination will put you to sleep, but not as far under as anesthesia for surgery does. But it would be better than just Valium. Would probably be worth running it by him if you decide to go the clinic route.
Good luck!
jr2

Topics: 15