Newbie with fractured bottom

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Newbie with fractured bottom

Postby bikelet » 09 Nov 2012, 16:55

Hi everyone, thanks for reading and your support.
My story: I have always had a bit of a dodgy stomach on and off while growing up. I remember times where as a young kid I had a fair amount of pain after BM. But these times weren't that often and seemed to go away by themselves. I just figured that I had eaten something 'scratchy'.
Then in 2008, I went on an overseas trip. The combination of dehydration, bad foods etc gave me a proper AF. I was in agony going to the toilet but too ashamed to tell anyone, even my mum (who is a nurse). I diagnosed myself via google. This episode didn't last too long thankfully- maybe 1-2 wks with adjustments to diet and with me trying to squat whenever I went to the toilet. I didn't have much pain at other times, only occasional itching.
Fast forward to this yr, 2012. Again I had been overseas and developed a mild AF. Not bad or disabling and I was able to deal with it (or so I thought). Then about a month after the trip, I developed the most intense burning pains in my bottom (with the presence of two skin tags) which was immediately followed the next day by five days of diarrhea after eating. I saw a Dr who believed that the skin tags were internal haemorrhoids and prescribed hydrocortisone suppositories (which basically did nothing). She also said that the diarrhea was likely to be caused by a virus, however I had no fever or vomiting or not sure I believe that.
Things slowly got a bit better over a week (the diarrhea was gone) but pain was up and down. At the end of the week I had the mother of all toilet experiences which left me cringing on the floor for 5 min afterwards. I decided to try not eating to see if this would help things to heal. The first day of doing that I felt great but the second day was back to normalish.
In the third week, things went from bad to worse as an infection developed. I had throbbing, constant pain in my rear end, especially on the left side radiating into the butt cheek and left pelvic floor area. I noticed pus coming out of the skin tags and that they seemed to be getting bigger. I thought well at least it must be draining itself? and continued on with regular baths and eating as little as possible. I continued to have very loose BM-probably what most people would call diarrhea.
By the Thursday of that week, I could barely walk. I was at work and a colleague noted that I looked green and sent me home. I went to another Dr who put me on antibiotics and said that most of the pain was from the infected swelling. Things got a bit better on Sat- I did a lot of walking as this seemed to help with draining the pus. Then on Sunday I stupidly ate some turkey which had been in the fridge too long and ended up with food poisoning and about 4 episodes of diarrhea! The anal pain worsened again and I think everything went backwards.
Monday of the next wk, went back to Drs as infection didnt seem to have cleared by 5 days of antibiotics. I had constant pain and couldn't sleep an ended up at hospital in the middle of the night. The Dr there thought it was a fissure, not haemorrhoids and said to go back to GP and get a referral to a surgeon, and gave me some oxycontin.
I went back to my GP and got a referral to a surgeon but they could only see me in a month's time! I was in such pain that in desperation I went back to the hospital and got admitted as a public patient (also after a traumatic internal examination by an ED nurse who thought it was just haemorrhoids too). I had investigation under anaesthetic done where they found an acute fissure, and a biopsy of the area was taken.
I think I heard someone say multiple tears- this may have been while I was still recovering. They say that there is no abscess or infection, despite the fact that I can feel two painful pea sized lumps in the external anal area. I have been started on Fybrogel and given a few days of Oxycontin to continue with (they said not to do this long term d/t constipation risk).
So far my BM have been soft and bearable, but I am still in constant pain -when walking, sitting, and intermittent sharp pains. I have a follow-up appointment in 2 wks to talk to my surgeon because he believes I may have Crohn's disease, given my history. I have been given a week off work and am seriously hoping I am better enough to work. It is so embarrassing to try to explain to people, especially when you can't walk properly.
I am still feeling very desperate- should I see another surgeon and get a second opinion about possible abscesses or wait till my follow-up? Will the fissure heal, given that it is ulcerated, still putting out puss/blood combination? Help!
bikelet

Topics: 1

Re: Newbie with fractured bottom

Postby cherylk » 09 Nov 2012, 17:23

If you have Crohn's, you would more than likely be having lots of ab pain and other symptoms. Hopefully, you can get your situation sorted out soon!! Good luck!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46