Does stress contribute to anal fissures?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Does stress contribute to anal fissures?

Postby quiggle » 12 Nov 2012, 15:40

Hi everyone, I've been suffering from anal fissures for many years. I noticed that when I get stressed out and worried, that a couple of days later I experience very hard stools at the beginning of my bowel movement that sometimes results in a streak of bright red blood along the lining of the latter stools and on the toilet paper. Does anyone else also experience a connection between stress and anal fissures and have any suggestions and remedies on how to deal with this? Thank you!
quiggle

Topics: 1

Re: Does stress contribute to anal fissures?

Postby Reptaronice » 12 Nov 2012, 18:52

I believe so. I find the same thing you have. The more stressed I am, the tighter I seem to be back there which leads to tearing and bleeding.
Last edited by Reptaronice on 13 Nov 2012, 00:12, edited 1 time in total.
Reptaronice
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby cherylk » 12 Nov 2012, 21:52

Stress is very bad for the digestive system--from the stomach downward. I would highly recommend taking an A/D if conservative methods to control stress do not seem to work for you. Good luck!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Ever the Optimist » 14 Nov 2012, 11:41

Absolutely!!!! For me a major connection in various ways....and I feel that stress was a massive factor in developing the fissure as I was going through some big life style changes at the time.
First, the physical aspect of not being relaxed whilst having a BM, which I've worked on now by deep breathing and focusing my attention on having a soft and pain-free BM.
Then, the constant stress of worry! Worrying about the next BM, what to eat, when to eat, when the next BM will be!
(Being prescribed AD's for being a bit OCD about it all really helped me with the thought stress and anxiety and becoming more positive about the situation) and then as Cheryl highlights, the general effect of stress on the digestive system and bowels generally - which didn't help my IBS, leaving me with bouts of diahorrea and a bit of constipation.
I would also highly recommend AD's even a temporary measure, to help anyone get through the worst mental part of the process. All the best to you! :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby richibeno » 14 Nov 2012, 11:52

Yes I agree to when IV got a new job or started something different
I have suffered for a week or so seem to go hard
Eto how are you getting on
I'm 6 weeks post op now feeling OK but getting sore round the seton
Get the odd feeling of sore all over down there to may be going back to work nurse said it looks fine 'tnough
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby Ever the Optimist » 14 Nov 2012, 12:54

Hi Rich!
Good to hear from you again! We seem to keep catching up on other's posts!
I updated my post 3rd Day Fistulomy in the Surgery section for a detailed update but basically, not too bad. I seem to have experienced some real relief in discomfort over the last few days, so always good. Still some underlying sensations though but better :) I've also had some odd soreness but a bit of Anusol seemed to sort that out! Honestly, all sorts of weird stuff goes on down there sometimes. I don't think my poor bum will ever be completely the same again! Glad to hear all OK with you. It all sounds pretty normal at this stage for you too and it's going to be sore, so wouldn't worry too much about that. I don't think you can normally apply anything topically with a seton can you for pain relief?........Your next op's not too far off now is it???
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Postby richibeno » 14 Nov 2012, 13:04

No seeing him on the 23 Nov .then the op should be on the 11 Dec .nurse said if looks find very superficial skin is coming together nice.surgeon said last time this op should not be as bad so hopefully be OK
richibeno
VIP

Postby Ever the Optimist » 14 Nov 2012, 13:30

No, it sounds to me, like the "worst" (not that it's that bad) part of the whole process is over for you (fingers crossed)! and it's good that you are healing well.
Hopefully, the next part will be a lot more straight forward once the seton's out and they can "finalise" things! Pls continue to update though!
Ever the Optimist

Postby richibeno » 14 Nov 2012, 13:46

thank you eto,
yes the abscess wounf was about the size of a 50p my wife said and deep ,has healed well thankfully,
hope the last bit is a straight forward fistulotomy ,
richibeno
VIP