Just looking for some advice/ support

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Just looking for some advice/ support

Postby EJ107 » 16 Nov 2012, 12:03

Hey, I'm a sort of new here. I found this site after googling the condition and thought that maybe posting here might make me feel better.
Around the start of July I started getting pain whenever I had a bowel movement, and it's pretty much continued since then. There is occasionally blood as well and the pain is pretty bad, but It doesn't usually last very long. The most annoying part is probably the itching, which was there long before the pain ever started and happens often.
It took awhile to work out what it was but eventually my doctor told me that he thought it was an anal fissure (chronic by that point, I think) and I started using Glyceryl trinitrate cream. It did seem to prevent the itching, but it didn't really do anything about the pain at all, and after about 8 weeks I just stopped bothering to use it altogether.
This all seems to have happened at the worst time possible as I moved to university soon after I started taking the cream. I see many people talking about how diet and hot baths are important, but I simply don't have access to a bath in my student accommodation and with my incredibly limited budget and the rubbish cooking equipment here I don't know how I'm supposed to keep a good diet. At the moment taking dulcoease regularly seems to be the only thing I can do.
I've finally registered with the doctors here and am going to go see them about it but It's hard to be optimistic. After approximately four months of this and reading about how many people have to resort to surgery (and surgery's worrying potential for incontinence) Things look bleak.
EJ107

Topics: 2

Re: Just looking for some advice/ support

Postby suzyljank » 16 Nov 2012, 13:53

Hi, You're in good company here. I'm sorry you're having so much trouble. You said you don't have a bathtub but you could buy a sitz bath, they're not much money. It sits on the toilet. You fill it with warm water and soak your bum for about 15-20 mins. It helps to keep the area clean and it relaxes the muscles that are spasming. As far as diet goes that's a little tougher with the limited cooking you have, but if you have a microwave you can do pretty well. Increase your fiber and water intake. You could make oatmeal in the microwave or veggies. Fresh fruit is good to. Just try to stay away from a bunch of junk food. Try lubricating your bum before you have a bm. It can help a lot. I use aquaphor but vaseline is good too. Don't use dry toilet paper, wet it and be gentle. If you can use a hair dryer to gently dry the area after a bm. I take miralax every day. A little in the afternoon and then a heaping cap at bedtime. During the day I drink powerade or water with benefiber in it. Just little things can make a difference. Try to stay positive, I know it's hard to do, I have a hard time taking my own advice. If you need the surgery don't worry about the incontinence, if you have a good doctor the risk is really low and most people who have a little find it goes away shortly. I hope this helps and you find some relief. Oh one more tip that is a lifesaver for me. If you're really hurting try sitting on a warm heating pad for a while, it does wonder, take care. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic